MX Sport Coils

gambler

whites garage sale  so I just ordered this from whites garage sale, now my question is when would I use each of these coils?

whites-mx-sport-accessory-pack.jpg.1024d

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to MX Sport Coils

That was a good deal at $284 - at $149 it is a steal, literally less than the price of a single coil.

The 10" round DD stock coil is a great all rounder. The concentric "donut" coil will give better ferrous identification of things like bottle caps, an edge for depth on mild ground (popular with white sand beach hunters), and easier pinpointing.

The 10" x 5.5" elliptical DD is a good nugget hunting coil or will offer slightly better trash separation than the stock coil in really trashy ground.

The round concentric is lighter than the stock 10” DD which makes for a nicer detector on the arm. The trade is the concentric coil is bouyant and therefore not as good for use in the water. I am not sure where the elliptical DD fits in as far as weight and balance etc but I am guessing it falls somewhere in the middle.

whites-mx-sport-metal-detector-waterproo
White's MX Sport waterproof metal detector

• Like 2

and they ship fast, got them today.?

• Like 1

gambler

I’m sorry I haven’t responded to your post.

I have all the coils for the Sport but one and that is the largest.

The only coil I have yet to use is the 9.5 concentric. I do have it on my Sport now ready to give it a shot.

All the other coils has proved their worth and I think you will find this to be true in time. At a later date I’ll give you my run down on the 9.5 concentric if it ever stop raining.

Chuck

• Like 2

Hey gambler

Well I said I’d get back with you on the 9.5 concentric coil . This morning before it was said the rain would start I was swinging the above coil. At first I told myself I should have had another coil on . I found I just needed to slow down and give that coil time to prove it’s self . Before I knew it the 9.5 was finding what I came after and that was lots of coins .

It was true on pinpointing  when you found the high point of your pinpoint tone. That donut hole hole in the center of the concentric is where you going to find that target of yours. I too found it accurate on the depth of coins with the coil .

I had great luck on finding quarters more than I’ve had with the other coils but I did find some dimes pennies and one nickel. That nickel was the only time the ID said it was a nickel.

I don’t know how you hunt along a sidewalk but this is the best way I’ve found to do it. What I do is hunt into the sidewalk and let part of the coil hang over on the sidewalk. If the sidewalk has some steel I have blocked out so if it is a coin laying next to the sidewalk I’m going to hear and ID it . I hunt out about a foot and then move over a swing width and do the same over again. After I made the run all the way down the sidewalk. Then I come back and hunt parallel to the sidewalk.

Anytime you have people walking down a sidewalk you will have them pulling something out of their pockets. When they do  something else will drop out and that’s why it’s important for us to hunt that foot of grass.

I plan on keeping the 9.5 concentric coil on for a while because one time out the door hunting is not a true test.

One thing in my opinion is slow down with your swing and I think it will pay off for you in the field too .

I’ll post a picture of my finds tomorrow.

Chuck

• Like 1

gambler

I said I’d get back with you on show and tell.

What you see to the right is the only trash I dug . My run time hunting was about two hours. I did find one more nickel than I said in the above post.

This was my first time out with the 9.5 and I want to spend more time in the field before maybe putting it aside.

Chuck

8FB10269-6697-4332-BB24-9D0F2C354089.jpeg

• Like 1

thanks chuck.?

• 3 weeks later...

I used the elliptical coil this sunday at a local park, did ok, found a silver dime at 6 inches. trashy site.

Gambler

I live in Texas but a friend had me to come and hunt with him in northeast Oklahoma. Because of high trash here and there I used the Sixshooter coil all the time. I say don’t leave home without it . It’s just one hot little coil and I last longer swinging it . It’s got good to great depth in just about any soil .

If you don’t have it the only question I have for you is why not ?

Chuck