L A Parks Take A Pounding But Keep Giving.....

18 hours ago, tboykin said:

Hey I used to live down that way. What are the rules/laws in LA regarding detecting? I would figure they would be pretty strict.

No one bothers me in the Los Angeles city or county parks. In fact, Parks & Rec staff will talk to you and give you ideas on where to go. Park Rangers & P.D. does not bother you either. They pretty much waive back at you if you initiate the gesture. But.... all said, I'm seeing a lot of uncovered plugs which will ultimately change things for us in the future. I think some MD'ers take advantage of lax policies and couldn't care one way or the other. We must change this attitude. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tboykin said:

I know of a ghost ranch north of town if you're interested. A very eccentric man lived out there so there might be some good stuff buried on the grounds... It's either BLM or Forest Service land and very little graffiti.

Sounds like a great idea... I'll pm you

On 9/18/2018 at 7:35 PM, Happa54 said:

...Full days you will work your butt off literally, for a few worth mentioning finds.

I'm still on a buffalo/V nickel quest and averaging 20 -30 nickels per hunt. Got a buffalo this past Sunday, 2 silver dimes and a few wheats. I come home dirty/sweaty due to the heat but I'm liking every minute of it.

Obviously your long hours and great attitude are producing.  Thanks for sharing the pics -- gives us motivation!

What detector and settings are you using?  Are you mainly honing in on the nickel zone and above Zincoln zones?  I see some rings there -- are those silver, TID'ing up with the copper pennies, etc.?  I'm one of the nickel hunters, too.  I can live with the junk targets (at my sites mostly 'right' sized can slaw and on school yards, pencil ferrules) that show up in the nickel TID region -- just goes with the territory.

Oh, and you might take your "work your butt off literally" discovery to the infomercial folks out there in SoCal.  ?

GB;

My primary settings when I hunt in Park 1 (I rarely use P2, F1&2 or beach)

Heavy/crowded signals/targets/trash;

• multi
  • 50 tones
  • zero GB & Thrshld & IB (I rarely have to GB)
  • Sens 20-22
  • disc out 1-10 and 14-17 (leave nickel sigs 11,12,13 open and all high co 18+)

Light to moderate signals/targets;

• same settings above
  • all metal mode

Since I have been using these settings with a keen awareness to nickel signals, I have dug up 2 nice gold pieces...an 18K ring and gold buddha pendant. 

I live in Rancho Cucamonga. I am always willing to go metal detecting. I am still new. Trying to find good spots besides the beach and parks. My best find a coin from 1885 when I visited family in Missouri. Worse find boat motor Pismo beach.

IMG_20170727_110129_0.jpg

• Like 1