Found Some Long Lost Hi8 Video - - -

jrbeatty

That’s what dreams are made of   ❤️  

Thanks for posting JR.  How google hits for Guys Rush in the next 24 do you reckon. 

Sad to hear about the sheep.  Hope things turn for you soon ?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Northeast said:

How many google hits for Guys Rush in the next 24 do you reckon?

Tried it Northeast, almost nothing.

An awful lot of other big gold came out of there. It was pushed in the late 80's but they must have been using Tandys.

Jim Stewart specked another 5 oz piece there under a bulldozed rock. I did a full story on it here in the Reg Wilson album.

11 hours ago, jrbeatty said:

Tried it Northeast, almost nothing.

Really?  I didn’t try it, exhausted from bike riding with the kids and fell asleep!! 

Did you or Reg ever go back with the GPZ?  I assume somebody has.  I am always wondering about those big gold areas that have already been done over thoroughly, whether they might still give up a nice piece to the Z. 

It would only take 1 nice ‘color ’ to make it worthwhile. 

I also plan to not die wondering  ?

• Like 2

When I got the 19" coil for my 7000 Guy's rush was one of the places I visited. It is on private property, and the owners are reluctant to let anyone on as it has been visited without permission many times. It takes contacts and some sweet talking to get on. Years ago I pulled a 14oz color there using a 'Candy' tricked up PI and a custom built 25" mono coil. John Hider-Smith who was with me at the time, returned some time later and dug a bit around the 30oz mark. JR Beatty, John, and Jim Stewart dug another about the same size, with Jim's big home built coil on a modified 2100, if memory serves me correctly.

It is a granite bottom, very mild, so I was able to use the more sensitive settings as recommended by Jonathon Porter, but had no luck. I am of the opinion that the equipment used earlier on this patch, being modified for big gold at depth would have had equal or better performance than a standard 7000. A modified 7000 with even larger coil could be a different story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

JR Beatty, John, and Jim Stewart dug another about the same size, with Jim's big home built coil on a modified 2100, if memory serves me correctly.

Correct Reg, along with the 5 ozer, they are shown above.

My 2100 (run in conjunction with the "Bismarck") was standard but we only utilised one channel when hunting big gold. Jim had another Candy "tricked" 2000 box but we found it insensitive to anything much under 20 oz, so we rarely used it.

Would have been great for finding UXB's though - - - :biggrin:

The "Bismarck" in action.

This was a 36" litz bundle wound monoloop made by Jim Stewart for detecting deep gold.

It found plenty, but, unfortunately, never on camera ☹️

With Johnny Morley (on pick) property owner Ken Leach, Jimmy Stewart. Shot at Fortunate Gully, Rheola VIC.

• Like 6