Found Some Long Lost Hi8 Video - - -

jrbeatty

1 hour ago, beatup said:

what a setup

Here's a better shot of it in action:

Fortunate Gully Rheola Vic. Jim Stewart, Johnny Morley (pick) Ken Leach (property owner)

I designed and built the carrier frame. It was surprisingly well balanced and comfortable to use, but like its "Pocket Battleship" namesake, it took some manoeuvring, especially among trees. :biggrin:

• Like 3

The "Bismarck" found a considerable quantity of gold in its day. As shown at the beginning of this topic, Here's some we found at Guys Rush:

Found at depth in Tertiary cement with Jim Stewarts 36" "Bismarck" coil mid 90's.
Copied from HI8 video.
5 oz and 30 oz. Note the root like supergene growth marks on the 30 oz piece with some ancient scratch marks. Unfortunately, The modern "ding" marks were caused while chipping it out in the dark. 
The full story halfway down the page here

• Like 6

8 hours ago, davsgold said:

Glad you found the old footage JR, I bet it brings back some wonderful memories

Sure does Dave.

Inspired by the success of friend and former detecting partner Jim Stewart, prospector John Hider Smith built his own 36" monoloop. 

Unlike the "Bismarck", This was flat wound (nothing new there) and also found much big gold.

In contrast to the "Bismarck" this was mounted by a hook onto the belt to carry the weight. For such a large setup, it was also comfortable to use.

Reg now owns the coil and has used it both as a sled coil and on his QED:

https://youtu.be/v21liiSdLrM

Damn! Don't know why these vids sometimes don't self embed - - -

• Like 4

Always time for some fun in the bush - :smile:

Reg Wilson, John Hider Smith (quad) Jim Stewart (coil sled) WA mid 90's

I've figured the embedding trick - maybe!

• Like 4

Jim Stewart at Red Streak, Dunolly, testing a 36" double "D" The theory behind it was for better penetration in "hot" ground.
This coil was custom built for us by John Gladdis and John Kah at Coiltek HQ, Adelaide SA.
It was originally of solid construction but weighed far too much to carry, even with the "Bismarck" carrier.
We tried using it as a tow coil behind Reg Wilsons quad in WA, but its slow response time made it unsuitable for the role.
Upon returning home to Vic, Jim and I converted it to skeletal form and this stripped most of the weight, rendering it easy to carry.

HOWEVER, we discovered that (unlike monoloops) DD's seem to lose efficiency at this size, at least when coupled to SD's.

• Like 4

Here's one timed for this weekends annual "Laanecoorie bash" in the Golden Triangle. Reg reports it's another huge success Very Happy

WA mid 90's Hawks Nest near Laverton
I'm using Powergel to loosen a multi target in caprock detected at depth with an SD2200 and 18" DD coil. Ran out of film but they were specimens. The trouble with using explosives for this work is not destroying the target (that's a matter of charge placement and quantity) but the damn detonator fragments!  Better to use Pauls jackhammer. :wink:
Featuring Jim Stewart using early model Coiltek pinpointer and hammer drill. I can't recall the name of the young prospector, but he was damn good!

• Like 5