Found Some Long Lost Hi8 Video - - -

jrbeatty

Bloody hell that's some hard ground, shame you ran out of film I would have loved to have seen the results. Thanks Jr for bringing us all this footage, loving it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a more laid back one featuring some campfire chatter. I never did find out what the "red dress" was all about, thankfully - - :blink:

Also, attempting to calibrate the tow coil with a buried 2 oz piece I'd recently found - - -

Usual cast of characters: John, Reg and Jimmy. Lifted from old HI8, mid 90's WA.

• Like 2

The red dress was hung in a tree. The idea being that any stickybeak, uninvited visitors would notice it, and upon inquiring about such would be asked if they thought perchance it might fit them, as it got a bit lonely out there in the scrub. They would then beat a pretty hasty retreat, leaving us to our gold hunting.

• Haha 3

Featuring the same rough, tough but excellent young prospector from the "Cap Rock" series but seen here crushing quartz specimens (some of which came from that hole) This bloke works right through the heat of a WA summer and made a more than adequate living from detecting. We enjoyed his company immensely - "water worn lovelies"  indeed!

With Jim Stewart and prospector Ian McMaster (sieve) Shot at the Laverton, WA caravan park mid 90's 

Edit: Thanks Steve. I'll remember that (maybe)

• Like 4

While Jim Stewart, Johnny Morley and property owner Ken Leach were chasing large deep pieces with the "Bismarck" I got to work with an SD2100 with the green 18" "dustbin" lid and recovered a few smaller bits.

This 6 grammer was one of a small run of tiddlers heading towards deeper ground. Shot at Sheepwash Gully, Rheola, mid 90's

PS: Note to self: Vids embed better with Chrome than IE   :)

Liking the vids JR.  

The link worked fine.

Out if interest, was that a previously worked gully back in the day and had been turned over before becoming farm land? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Northeast. That  run was all in new ground, as was the nearby 6 ozer, also the 70 oz nugget found nearby in the fifties. This undisturbed ground consists of short runs (or "Necks" as Jimmy and I called them) draining into Yorath gully.

The main gullies in that paddock (Fortunate and Sheepwash) were extensively worked during the Gold Rush years with nuggets up to 200oz found. As shown in the other vids, we only found junk in them. Working separately at around the same time with JHS,  Reg found a good patch elsewhere on Kens property.

Ken Leach was a cantankerous old bugger who hated prospectors and this was the reason he finally did a deal with us, since his property was constantly "moonlighted" As you probably know, Rheola was historically fabulously rich in very big gold.

Ken died of skin cancer not long after this was filmed. His son John took over, and at the time I sent copies of this footage to him. He described his father to me as having become "gold obsessed" in his later years, to the detriment of the property.

• Like 1

Thanks JR. Certainly sounds like an interesting place. 

This is the exact sort of spot I wonder if you and Reg went back to with the GPZ?  

• Like 1

I've never been back, but judging by other areas done with proto's and big loops, only deep small gold would remain.

• Like 2