Found Some Long Lost Hi8 Video - - -

jrbeatty

Pretty sure that some of the trick gear we had access to would out depth a GPZ, but even if the GPZ were better the gear we used would have easily reached the bottom for anything of size. As James has stated, there would only be small stuff left, and it can stay there for all I care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's that hardy young character again. Brilliant detector operator but junk this time. He was shyly courting the "Chicken burger lady" who ran a takeaway stall at Laverton, WA, hence the banter.
I wonder whether the relationship flourished into permanence :)
Featuring Jim Stewart and prospector Ian McMaster's better half, who's name now escapes me. 

Shot at Hawks Nest north, Laverton, WA mid 90's

You certainly meet some characters outback  ?

• Like 2

Strewth Beatty, those were fun days. I never laughed so much since Granny got her tit caught in the wringer.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The "Bismarck" was a real drawcard whenever it appeared in public. 
This scene was fairly typical. However, here it struggled to handle salty ground. 
With Jim Stewart near Goongarrie, WA mid 90's. Copied from HI8

• Like 2

Good question Jin.  

Using the "Bismarck" Jimmy and I found about 50 odd ozs, but Jim and Johnny Morley worked together for a far longer period and would have scored far more than that. Sadly, I believe Johnny had a stroke some time back and is now invalided.

Jimmy also worked alone with good results, but I'd have to ask Robyn (Jim's widow) in order to get more specific figures.

• Like 2

Last one. Thanks for watching:
A short shot of Jim and the "Bismarck" to end the series. 
Jim died of cancer after a long debilitating struggle but his legacy lives on in many ways. Apart from his two adult children, there's now the Jim Stewart Memorial Trophy awarded annually (at the "Laanecoorie bash" in Victoria's Golden Triangle) to the peer nominated prospector who most lives up to his ideals of generosity, helpfulness, honesty and humour. 

Of course he also lives on in the memory of those who knew him personally. Hopefully, this video series has not only introduced him to those who never met him, but has reawakened fond memories for those who did.  

With Ken Leach and Johnny Morley. Mid 90's Fortunate Gully Rheola.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

Last one. Thanks for watching:
A short shot of Jim and the "Bismarck" to end the series. 
Jim died of cancer after a long debilitating struggle but his legacy lives on in many ways. Apart from his two adult children, there's now the Jim Stewart Memorial Trophy awarded annually (at the "Laanecoorie bash" in Victoria's Golden Triangle) to the peer nominated prospector who most lives up to his ideals of generosity, helpfulness, honesty and humour. 

Of course he also lives on in the memory of those who knew him personally. Hopefully, this video series has not only introduced him to those who never met him, but has reawakened fond memories for those who did.  

With Ken Leach and Johnny Morley. Mid 90's Fortunate Gully Rheola.

I'm just bumping this final vid to the new page

Yeah Reg. I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up a few times while transcribing this tape. I owe a lot to Jim.

Naturally I've edited out an awful lot of repetitive, boring footage. For instance, en route to WA we travelled in convoy and chatted away on CB radio. There were some delightful accidentally recorded dialogues between us (because I had set down the camera whilst still running) but visually, a half hour close up of seat upholstery :) 

• Like 3