White's MXT Engineering Guide

This great resource was written by project engineer Dave Johnson and published by White's in 2002. It has become very hard to find, which is a shame because it provides insights not only on the MXT and GMT but on metal detector design in general. I took the liberty of scanning my copy this morning and converting it to html and posting here at White's MXT Engineering Guide

Hopefully White's will not mind. :smile:

As I noted, there is some information here you will not see anywhere else. How many of you experienced MXT owners know this following information regarding the ground balance setting on the MXT from the report?

"Electronic ferrite material and most "negative hot rocks" (cold rocks) will usually read in the 75-88 range. Most soils will read somewhat lower. Readings will almost never go below 25 except in salt or moist alkali soils. When readings indicate smaller numbers than 50 you may notice some reduction in sensitivity. Below 35, some rusty iron may give unpredictable responses. Below 25, iron objects may give unpredictable responses and/or may disappear entirely and the sound on nonferrous objects may become slightly more abrupt."

whites-mxt-engineering-guide-cover.jpg.a

• Like 2