New Project! - Mini Stackable Gold Tower

So, after playing around with a few ideas, I figure it's time to go ahead and make a larger scale sluice.  No tiny 95GPH flow, this is going to be 500GPH.  That's just over 5 times as powerful as my previous "pocket sluice".  This is basically a small Gold Cube.  Half the width, and scaled down in some areas.  This one is designed to take real gold sluice rubber matting.  I bought two types, one is generic "High-Low" matting that's 2.3mm tall.  The other is "Vortex" matting, and it's 7mm tall.

The trays I have are designed to print with minimal supports and material, hence the honeycomb grid.  There is a little angular lip at the top of the matting area that keeps the top of the mat in place, and places the water and material flow completely onto the mat.  The little pegs at the bottom keep the mat from sliding down, and and small enough to not impede water flow in any meaningful capacity.  The underflow section at the top is actually the exact same dimensionally as the Gold Cube, so that the water flow works correctly.  Under the foot where the underflow is, is a cutout that fits into the raised pegs at the top of the bottom end, so they can stack neatly.  There is only 0.3mm of play between the parts, so that it's a nice, tight fit.

The top tray, or "slick plate" is the same general idea, and has a 9 degree angle, just like the matting tray.  The red lid slides into the slot around the top, and creates a tight sealed box that directs the water flow.  It has only 0.3mm of clearance.  The back of it will end up having a threaded tube, 3/4" to allow a bilge pump to be hooked up to it.  What's not pictured here is an additional piece that directs water flow down to prevent excess splashing and uneven output.

Untitled.jpg

IMG_20180920_141012.jpg

• Like 3

Yes.

From Microns, mesh, inches, and millimeters:

"What does mesh size mean? Mesh size is the mesh number (a US measurement standard) and its relationship to the size of the openings in the mesh and thus the size of particles that can pass through these openings. Figuring out the mesh number is simple. All you do is count the number of openings in one linear inch of screen. This count is the mesh number. A 4 mesh screen means there are four little square openings across one inch of screen. A 100 mesh screen has 100 openings per inch, and so on."

Note that four holes per inch does not equal 1/4" holes. The actual opening diameter is determined by the wire size used to make the screen.

See http://www.mltest.com/PDF/astm_chart_wstyler.pdf

I have a 500GPH pump on it's way.  3/4" ID hose.  For those curious and don't want to decipher the screenshot and do math, the total height for one top tray (slick plate) and 2 mat trays total 165mm tall (or 6.5").  Plates are 9 degrees.

How do these numbers sound?  It's certainly smaller and shorter than a Gold Cube.  I have not obviously tested this yet as I don't have the pump.  I'm a bit tentative about printing the trays yet, as they take 30 hours a piece to make.

If I were to sell these, I'd have a working design, then find a place that make them from injection molded plastic.