The $80,000 Nugget

mn90403

Flakmagnet, no I do not believe the GPZ7000 GPS system could be monitored, but there are some who have posted this theory on other forums, claiming that their patches had been raided after they had used the GPS system, and suggested that they had been monitored.

I had a patch that I had discovered in a rather remote, seldom visited area cleaned out some time back, however it was because someone had seen my vehicle coming out of a barely discernible track, and recognizing my van, had decided to backtrack me. Next day, raked out.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 9/21/2018 at 4:09 PM, Reg Wilson said:

What is that attachment on the back of the armrest on the 7000?

That is a nugget shield... lol some day I hope to need one!

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2018 at 3:10 AM, flakmagnet said:

Reg,  you are highly respected so it is with respect I put this out to you.

Do you seriously think Minelab is secretly monitoring the gps built into the 7000?

Do you believe the "there are those that believe the gps is monitored" that you refer to?

The fact is a GPS is a receive only device, it can't transmit one's position or anything else for that matter.

The GPZ would need some sort of transmitter to send any GPS data to ML

Now if you sent your GPZ into to ML for repair, without deleting all your saved data, well that could be

a different matter.

I think what some people are getting confused is a cell phone that has a GPS integrated into the system.   The cell phone has a transmit ability that constantly updates a location by cell tower and GPS.  When a 'history' is made of where the cell phone has been you can see it.  It is 'retrieved' from the application and you can locate your lost cell phone and route information. 

Does ML have access to the phone records?  I don't think so.  There are millions of devices that use the satellites to 'see' where you are electronically just like looking at the stars.  They don't transmit.

Old fashioned detective work is still alive and well in the gold fields.

Mitchel

You just got to love the odd conspiracy theory. Now these are not my thoughts, but are those of an acquaintance who shall remain anonymous. He had suspicions that Minelab, since being taken over by Codan, a manufacturer of military radio equipment, had the ability to include in the GPZ7000 a transmitter, capable of relaying information back to the manufacturer. This he maintained was a simple task for a company experienced in radio technology. Such an ability would enable Minelab to gather all sorts of useful information, on hours of use, settings used, area and location detected, and if the owner was using the total GPS package, record of finds and position of such.

This scenario is highly unlikely, however the technology to achieve just such a situation surely exists and could well be a future development.

When you connected the 7000 and 3030 to the database which allows you to keep your finds I had wondered how the XChange2 was shared or if it could be hacked.  I liked being able to push the find button and heading back to a previous location on a map and with the detector.

The last update for the 7000 disabled a portion of the 7000s abilities and some of the users had decided that the GPS was using too much 'power' and disabled anyway.

On 9/23/2018 at 10:01 PM, Reg Wilson said:

I had a patch that I had discovered in a rather remote, seldom visited area cleaned out some time back, however it was because someone had seen my vehicle coming out of a barely discernible track, and recognizing my van, had decided to backtrack me. Next day, raked out.

Now that last story Reg I totally believe. 

Best...

You can't keep a conspiracy theorist down. The same guy who suspected Minelab was monitoring GPZs believed the moon landing was faked, and that no plane flew into the Pentagon, but was absolutely convinced that the story of Noah's Ark was totally factual. Very strange the way some peoples minds work.

• Haha 1