Unexpected Silver

Good hunting Norm

I have an old Army Swiss just like the one you found. Now I must find it to see if it has silver in it. 

I found two sites that sell this knife, one for $209.00 the other for $179.00

• Like 1

Hi Simon, you got my curiosity going. I found out that Victorinox and Swiss Army are one in the same, the person that stole yours probably didn't even know how valuable that knife was. As for coin finds, if you find a virgin area 121  coins is not unusual. The ratio was exceptional, 39 pennies, 39 dimes and 43 quarters. Not a single nickel, but plenty of pull tabs.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 8:16 PM, normmcq said:

I found out that Victorinox and Swiss Army are one in the same, the person that stole yours probably didn't even know how valuable that knife was. As for coin finds, if you find a virgin area 121  coins is not unusual. The ratio was exceptional, 39 pennies, 39 dimes and 43 quarters. Not a single nickel, but plenty of pull tabs.

Victorinox is the official 'Swiss Army' brand.  There are many cheapo counterfeits out there.  I never leave home without my authentic one and they last forever (until you lose it, which I've done more than once -- one confiscated at the gate entrance to an NFL game when I forgot to leave it in the car ?).

No nickels??  Are you using the ML CTX 3030?  With the ML Eqx 800 I find as many (5 cent) nickels as clad dimes.  Yes, there are nickel falsies like certain sized can slaw, pencil ferrules, and broken off beaver tail pulltabs.  Worst are the aluminum punchouts associated with square tabs (neither of which was designed to be removed from the can -- which is the most annoying thing).  I dare anyone to tell me they can consistently distinguish those from nickels with an Eqx.

Nice haul, Norm, but I like your pictures of silver a lot better.  ?

Yes I am using the ML 3030 and I don't have a clue as to why no nickels that day. I normally dig my share of Nickels along with the pull tabs and can slaw.

As for the Victorinox knife, the main part of the knife was beyond saving. I got another one with the right stuff and the red handles. Was able to remove the handles and now will replace them with the silver ones.

• Like 3