I Had A Goal For This Year.....

Dukester

Great find. Yes, to find rings you must dig pull tabs. It is not an Equinox thing. For every pull tab reading that exists on any detector there is a ring that can read the same. Anyone skipping those tab readings skips that ring. The person that digs them finds it. It really is that simple.

• Like 2

Simon, people think it is a function of the Equinox having a 50 target id range but it is nothing of the sort.

I do things like keep all my trash while digging all non-ferrous. Then make piles of trash/treasure based on target id.

So I have a White’s V3i with 195 target id numbers -95 to +95. Ferrous is negative so that is 95 non-ferrous numbers versus 40 for Equinox. Over twice as many.

So when you do that do pull tabs now magically come up as different numbers than rings? No.

Lets say for yucks that pull tabs read 10 - 19 on the Equinox. That would be close to the 20 - 44 range on the V3i.

If I take 100 pull tabs that fall in that range and test them, I get 10 piles with the Equinox. The V3i will have 25 piles with fewer tabs in each pile.

Ten rings tested are going to end up in several of the ten Equinox piles, and they will also end up in the 25 V3i piles.

So if I am digging one particular ring with one target id then I will dig fewer tabs with the V3i to get that ring. But here is the catch. You do not know what rings you will dig ahead of time. All you know for this example is that all the test tabs and rings will appear at 10 - 19 on the Equinox and 20 - 44 on the V3i.

Now, since you don’t know the target id for those ten rings, tell me which numbers you will reject on the V3i that will reject the tabs but get the rings. You can’t do it because you don’t know the target numbers for the rings, and there is a ring made for every target number. The only way to for sure get all ten rings is to dig all 10 - 19 signals with the Equinox and all 20 - 44 targets with the V3i. You get all the rings, and both machines will hit the same tabs. Adding target id numbers does not really help much because we rarely dig single target id numbers but instead we dig ranges of numbers.

Now, with the V3i and time I can discover that certain tabs bunch at certain target id numbers. The V3i does allow more selectivity and so if I discover one particularly prevalent tab I can reject it with lower odds of missing a ring than if I reject one target number on the Equinox, since each Equinox number covers more items under one number. An expert hunter can use statistical odds better with a detector that has more range rather than less, but it is still a form of educated guess based gambling. Leaving any non-ferrous items in the ground will always come with the risk of desired items missed, end of story.

Trash & Treasure - And More Trash!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great Find Dukester… beautiful gold!

You met one of your MD'ing goals Duke.  Gold and a nice one too.  Now the monkey is off your back and the next one should not take as long.  Hats off to you.

• Like 1

Nice ring!!!!  Like already mentioned....if you're looking for gold in the usual "public arenas" you gotta dig-it-all as gold can/will  read all over the map because of different content, weight, and size...……...

• 2 months later...

Now you'll start finding more.  The more you hunt the more you'll find.  The more experience, the more in-tuned you'll be with the machine, in turn,the more you'll find.