Eqx 800: 5 Tones To 3

ColonelDan

In an effort to simplify my detecting life with the EQX 800, I limited the number of tones to three corresponding to the common low, mid and high conductive ranges.

I thought I'd share this with the forum...for what it's worth anyway.  Please keep in mind as you read on, it may be worth even less to you than you paid for it!  ?

Since 99% of my hunts are on east coast Florida beaches, I hunt in all metal and dig just about anything that doesn't sound specifically like iron. Yes, I dig a lot of aluminum!  But having a rough and simple indication of what my coil may be over, be it a low, mid or high conductive target, I thought would be helpful and shield me from the “tone overload” I get using 50 tones.   Even using the factory presets of 5 tones , I sometimes find it tricky to distinguish between tones over the ambient sounds along the beach. Again, I asked myself if I really needed that fine level of distinction anyway based on where and the way I hunt and dig. Agreed, that's strictly a personal preference.

I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones. My results:

Conductivity              VDI Range         Tone

Low                                -9 to 0                   1

Mid                                  1-19                      12

High                                20+                       25

I can now easily hear a distinct difference in those three tones and my life is simpler.

Granted, the specific conductivity ranges based on the VDI display will vary depending on the soil, target depth and metallurgical composition.  All of which is a known and acceptable factor to me for the purpose of this “approximation exercise.”

Just the view from my sandy foxhole...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You beat me to it! I have been intending to write up an article on how to create three and four tone schemes using 5 tones as the base. I will probably still do it just to run though the mechanics of adjusting the settings. There are a lot of custom options with 5 tone on the Equinox 800.

• Like 2

A “how to” step by step guide would be useful I’m sure to those new the EQX and there’s nobody that could do it better than you.  

Personally, I like the three tone option.  Adjust the zones, assign the tones to your liking and go for it.  No muss; no distracting fuss!  ?

Soldier on Steve...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

A “how to” step by step guide would be useful I’m sure to those new the EQX and there’s nobody that could do it better than you.  

Personally, I like the three tone option.  Adjust the zones, assign the tones to your liking and go for it.  No muss; no distracting fuss!  ?

Soldier on Steve...

I like your 3-tone scheme, and think a step by step would be helpful for those like me that don’t find such adjustments intuitive. 

So far the only tone adjustments I’ve made have been lowering the iron volume. I have been using 50 tones for the most part, but would give the 3- tones a try. 

Is there a place to see how this is done, 3 tones from 5 tones? I've tried it and I think I may have it, but when I go through the tone cycle, it still shows T4 and T5. Although T4 and T5 are at the same volume setting of T3, they still show up on the on the tone cycle. Is this how 3 tones are made from 5 tones? 

To simplify the explanation.

Basically to only utilize 3 Tones from the 5 Tones you have to cram in the 2 unwanted Tone Brakes in your "Tone Breaks" of "Low", "Mid" or "High".  If you stick with the same Tone Break VDI values you can insert the unwanted breaks in that range but using identical "Tone Volumes" & "Tone Pitch" to that which you have set in that range.  You will still see 5 Tone Breaks cycling through the breaks but you have only got 3 different Tone Pitches & Tone Volumes of "Low", "Mid" & "High".

• Like 2