Old Chinese Coin?

GlazedTofu

Found at old pre 1900 coal mining ghost town in Washington state.  I have no idea how old this is but we did have a lot of Chinese miners at this site. 

Anyone have some some knowledge I’d love to hear it!

0E4DAFAC-5F22-462F-8711-EA3B5CEE540B.jpeg

F10EC753-E588-45A2-BF2A-59C5753CE4FA.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok, according to my Chinese wife the ruler that the coin references is Kangxi in the Qing Dynasty.  That is the second name (reign title: K'ANG-HSI, AD 1662-1722)

KIANG HSI CASH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_Emperor 

• Like 3

Well that is the oldest thing I have found!

thanks for the help 

wow, I never thought something that old would show up in the mountains of Washington state!

time to research the dynasty 

GlazedTofu,

I must make a 'note' on the age process or dating of the coin.

Just because the name is on the coin and we know the date of the emperor's life and reign, my wife could not say that the coin was made while the emperor was living.  Sometimes a younger ruler would honor the previous ruler and put their name on a coin.  More research would be needed on the other words and 'look' of the coin to determine age.

What she did tell me is that the coin would have come from China with the miners so that makes it over 100 years old.  It seems there are lots of reproductions of these coins made now in China so it is harder to tell the age of a coin from China than many of the coins found here.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I found something like that earlier this year at an old park. I'm still not sure if it's from the actual era, or if it's from a grab bag off Amazon (you can buy them in bulk on there, seen here)

Either way, nice find! Sure looks old ?

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

15 hours ago, GlazedTofu said:

Well that is the oldest thing I have found!

thanks for the help 

wow, I never thought something that old would show up in the mountains of Washington state!

time to research the dynasty 

Was there a railroad nearby?

They tend to show up in areas where the Chinese worked on the railroads, or gold camps.

But an awesome find to say the least.:biggrin:

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Was there a railroad nearby?

They tend to show up in areas where the Chinese worked on the railroads, or gold camps.

Yes, on site 200 yards from where I found the coin!

I just read an interesting article at the local museum that tells about the Chinese and how they built most of the old railroad lines here in western Washington they were present at most mining towns from 1860-1886.