Nugget Finder 12" Round Vs 12x8" Elliptical

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what ones best of these two coils I've herd alot of  good things about the 12 round nugget finger coil but like the eleptical coils as can get them in places the round won't go and I know the 12x8 is fairly new .but thought I'd ask if anyone has any experiance with it compared to the 12 round ..on depth and sensitivity?

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Nugget Finder 12" Round Vs 12x8" Elliptical

Hi All,  I've been loaned a 12 x 8 Evo coil to compare with my 12" Evo round.  I placed 2 pieces of gold in the ground, an 0.6gm nugget at 6" deep and an 0.04gm piece at nearly 3" deep ,  both targets I could hear with the 12" round.  With the 12 x 8 I could hear a very faint signal on the 0.04gm piece.  The o.6gm piece I could not hear a peep out of it with the 12 x 8.  So I did not buy the 12 x 8.  I must say that the 12 x 8 was not the latest production model, it was a prototype model coil, this was done with my GPX 5000 in fine gold in VIctoria, Australia.  Cheers,  Hermann.

• Like 3

Hi All again,  Somebody was not happy with my report on the 12 x 8 Evo coil.  However when I get a chance again to try a 12 x 8 production model I will try again, and as I wrote, the coil that I tried was just a prototype, and it may have been abused. Cheers Hermann.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I would not expect a 8” x 12” coil to be as deep as a 12” round coil.

Steve,i own and use a 14x9 Coiltek mono coil on my TDI Pro the main reason being that is ultra lightweight and i do suffer from a wrist problems,hence the main reason i use it,i also have the stock 12'' DF coil that comes with the TDI but not used it very much,so do you think the stock coil would give me slightly more depth ??

Another coil which i also have and will be using over the coming winter months also on the TDI is the 15x12 Commander mono coil,albeit it is heavier than the other 2 coils but being physically bigger i would have thought that the 15x12 should be deeper out of the 3 that i have mentioned.......i do have much bigger coils but those would be predominately use on very special occasions say on deep pasture for large artifacts and hoards.

Your input would be most welcome

Hi Rick,

I think you hit on an important item - physical capability. While depth is all fine and dandy, we are not talking double the depth or anything crazy like that. Going to a larger coil at best you usually just get that extra inch. That being the case I like a coil I can swing for 8 hours without killing myself. I personally really like the 14" x 9" form factor as a good compromise between depth, weight, and ground coverage. The 15" x 12" Commander mono was a very good performer back in the day but some of these new coil windings may have an edge that negates the size difference. Not having used the newest coils myself I can only suggest what I would do myself - a half day of comparative coil testing. I can't imagine there being much difference at all between the 12" round and the 14" x 9" as regards performance so it really just comes down to which coil you prefer to swing.

My old 14" x 9" Nugget Finder helped me score a 6.5 ounce gold nugget so you can see why I might be fond of the coil!

I had the old Nugget Finder 16" round super light mono coil at one point. The old housing design but that was a sweet coil both for being light and deep. Unfortunately it started getting flaky and had to be retired.

post-1-0-66623900-1422990420.jpg
6.5 ounce gold nugget found by Steve with GPX 5000 & Nugget Finder 14" x 9" mono

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi Rick,

I think you hit on an important item - physical capability. While depth is all fine and dandy, we are not talking double the depth or anything crazy like that. Going to a larger coil at best you usually just get that extra inch. That being the case I like a coil I can swing for 8 hours without killing myself. I personally really like the 14" x 9" form factor as a good compromise between depth, weight, and ground coverage. The 15" x 12" Commander mono was a very good performer back in the day but some of these new coil windings may have an edge that negates the size difference. Not having used the newest coils myself I can only suggest what I would do myself - a half day of comparative coil testing. I can't imagine there being much difference at all between the 12" round and the 14" x 9" as regards performance so it really just comes down to which coil you prefer to swing.

My old 14" x 9" Nugget Finder helped me score a 6.5 ounce gold nugget so you can see why I might be fond of the coil! 

Steve,some tremendous information,think i will stay with my Coiltek,its the only coil that really suits my sites,as the coil is foam filled it really is ultra lightweight,as i dont use it everyday i even use it without the coil cover on like all my coils and suprising how heavy a cover can be especially on a very large coil.....cannot exactly quote the weight as i have never weighed one but my large 20'' Jimmy Sierra coil coil cover weighs alot and i can only swing that setup using a GPX full harness and the amazing hipstick,but i can swing the Coiltek 14x9 mono coil all day.

Thanks again for your input,will be using the 14x9 coil this coming weekend on a very old pasture site.

• Like 1

I found Elliptical coils were best for ground cover when the target is a strong signal.

That is 14" x 7" coil  will give you about the same penetration as a 7" round coil and a similar ground cover as a 14" round. If the signal is very soft (very small target near the surface or very deep good signal were you have to over lap your swings a round coil wins hands down. ). So a correct size elliptical for patch hunting an a appropriate size round for working a patch. 

On 9/27/2018 at 1:01 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I would not expect a 8” x 12” coil to be as deep as a 12” round coil.

You forgot the magical part of the equation, the size of the target! 

I recently tested a 0.1g prickly piece of gold and the 12x8" got it deeper than the 12" by a good margin. 

• Like 3
Just now, phrunt said:

Just the person I was hoping would chime in, do you think it's worth me getting a 12x8 when I have the 14x9 Evo?  Keep in mind almost all the gold in NZ is small gold ?

The 14x9" is no slouch. In the testing I've done so far, if you can run a high gain on the 14x9" it will pretty well match what the 12x8" can do, especially if you can run Sens Extra. 

In hot ground it's a different ball game. Where you are forced to drop your Rx Gain, the 12x8" retains a lot of sensitivity, where the 14x9" starts to lose signal sharpness a lot earlier. 

Interesting thing though, on this 0.1g bit, Fine Gold was the best, provided I kept a slow steady swing. Sens Extra was next best, followed by Enhance which struggled a bit. I've seen this scenario several times in the past, which is why I still have the 5000, even though I have a soft spot for the old 4500. 

I also tried the 15" Evo just for kicks. Sens Extra was the only timing that got a sniff on it, but I had to up the Gain and back off the stabilizer. Fine Gold and Enhance nothing. 

In thick scrub, the 12x8" is nicer to use. 

• Like 5