Equinox 800 Will Not Update!

CrainRacing

Heya everyone, new user here but I am not new to the game.

I purchased an early Equinox 800 a while back, in fact it was the first one that our local shop received. 

I am having a problem where it will not update, the program simply freezes and will not come back no matter how long I let it sit, the detector does not freeze though.
I have tried many different combinations of connecting and disconnecting the detector, starting it while connected, starting the program after connecting and so on. 
I also tried on a laptop that had a fresh install of Windows 7 on it with no updates, added the program to Windows defender and tried it with windows defender off. 
On my primary computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) I have given the program all permissions, pretty much it could Skynet me if it wanted it. 

My Wifi router is open, with no firewall. 

I have tried everything I can, spent hours on this and still have not solved the issue. 

Please let me know if you or anyone you know is having this problem and how they went about solving it.

Thanks

-Eric-

Hi,

Sorry to hear.

Have you tried doing a Factory Reset on the 800 before plugging it in ?

...just a thought.

If no joy I would contact your dealer or Minelab Service Dept.

Had the same problems...contacted ML and they said to go to update file and RIGHT click...then select PROPERTIES...then select COMPATIBILITY....put a check mark or select WINDOWS XP ... then select APPLY then OK....exit back to desktop....now go to same file and again RIGHT CLICK....select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.....it'll now run....follow prompts.....takes about 5ish minutes to install.....gl...Al F

• Like 4

I have windows 7 but that wouldn't work for me either . So i got my windows 10 laptop out and that worked fine.

Just bought another 800 as a spare and will have to update that too when i get around to it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nuke em said:

I have windows 7 but that wouldn't work for me either . So i got my windows 10 laptop out and that worked fine.

Just bought another 800 as a spare and will have to update that too when i get around to it.

Nuke - Maybe you could do some A - B comparisons pre and post update comparidons on some test targets and let us know if you see a difference before you update that 2nd 800.

Heya everyone;

I was able to update the detector by taking it over to my friends house and he was able to update it no problem.
He is running Windows 10 and has updated several of the detectors already without issue. 

So it would appear that this issue is with Windows 7 Home and Windows Ultimate (Both running 64-bit)

Thank you all for the responses, I did try all suggestions and I appreciate the help. 

Now it's time to go find some Treasure! :D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrainRacing said:

Heya everyone;

I was able to update the detector by taking it over to my friends house and he was able to update it no problem.
He is running Windows 10 and has updated several of the detectors already without issue. 

So it would appear that this issue is with Windows 7 Home and Windows Ultimate (Both running 64-bit)

Thank you all for the responses, I did try all suggestions and I appreciate the help. 

Now it's time to go find some Treasure! ?

I have Windows Professional , that didn't work either.

My desktop isn't too terribly old, it is an Intel I7 920 running a good Mobo, this version of Windows 7 Ultimate and had Windows 8 but was reverted back to 7 Ultimate. For this machine it is very likely an issue with reverting back to 8 and the numerous anti-virus software programs that have been on this thing. I bought this machine 2nd hand so who knows what was done. 

The Laptop is older, like 2008 older so I can see that having USB/hardware issues. 
It was just a cheap laptop that I bought from a neighbor and fixed.

My friends computer is much more recent and running Windows 10, so naturally everything is current and fluid there. 

It would be nice if I could link this thing to my Galaxy S9+ and update it from there. :D

A side note for the update, the ground is a lot less noisy in some cases, so much so that it had me questioning if it was on. 
But the moment you bump the coil it makes a ruckus of noise. I wonder if that is normal or if I might have gotten water in the coil. 

Thanks again for the replies everyone and thank you phrunt for the very detailed reply.