Mid 1600's Native American Kettle Points Found With Equinox

GKman

Very nice finds, looks like you have found a decent habitation site.. 

Although possible to find them near where I live, I have never seen a Jesuit Missionary Ring dug.  Was there any British activity in the area or mainly French.?

I am honestly not the expert on the site since I was invited to detect there and it is about 2 1/2 hours from my location. There was British activity throughout that area later on during the Revolution. Not sure about the 1600's though. 

Thanks for the reply.  I asked because I assumed (incorrectly) that you were in the upper Great Lakes region. 

It must have been a real treat to hunt there.  I would go nuts for an opportunity like that.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a truly amazing find.. and sorry for the very late reply to your post.

The Archaeologist is correct in that most "copper culture" artifacts are found in Wisconsin due to being closer to the site in the Upper Peninsula where the surface copper deposits are located. 

The few found in my area are usually located in summer camps near river mouths, Indian garden sites and select areas along the Lake Michigan shore. 

I have permission to hunt an area near an old MSU dig site along Lake Michigan where I made my only copper culture find, a 3" awl.

awl.jpg.d22b38f4d0baa4e59b5b94e870b0cccd.jpg

• Like 6

Very AWESOME.  We're the real archaeologists.  I love this hobby more n more each and every day.  Great finds guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great finds, that kind of stuff just doesn't exist on the west coast.

I've always found it fascinating that the west coast Indians never learned to make refined metals, nor advanced dwelling building, they essentially were stuck in the stone ages up until the last turn of the century when the Europeans poured into the west coast.  Yet further south, pyramids that rival the great pyramids of Egypt were built, metal refined, and amazing artistic objects and advanced building techniques were utilized.   

• Like 1