Equinox Ferrous / Iron / Steel Responses

Daniel Tn

Understood, what I meant to say is that there is an exposed surface of copper that surrounds the coin, sorry for the confusion.

It is interesting that you say the "nickle" surface on the clad coin is also a copper alloy, that explains why the signals are still good on American clad.

I'm just doing a few things, but later I should sandwich a copper penny between two true nickle dimes to see what happens lol.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:05 AM, Jackpine said:

A lot of very good points in this discussion that I agree with completely. 

A couple quick questions for those that hunt older sites where numerous types and sizes of iron, steel and rusty tin are the masking culprits. 

Is the lack of an overload indicator on the Nox a positive thing for your hunting style?  In other words would it add or detract from your ability to discern co-located non-ferrous in heavily trashed areas? 

Although I like to hear it all to get those tells we talk about I l need to try hunting with the all metal horse shoe button off in these sites if only to satisfy my curiosity about the difference in audio vs making use of the iron volume control.

Given that it's lack of audio modulation in the first 6" is (to me) a big problem, I wouldn't mind an overload function.  Perhaps not quite as sensitive as the Makro/Nokta machines tend to be (I've been to sites with them that the machine sounded like it was in a Star Wars space battle with constant overloads from sea of nail environments), but it's annoying to get a nice coin signal, only to dig a beer can that's two inches deep. 

33 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

...It's annoying to get a nice coin signal, only to dig a beer can that's two inches deep.

Better than 12 inches deep!  ?

Seriously, those are the more difficult ones for me both in terms of fooling me and worse, causing me to dig deep.  The modulation, both in the search mode and with the pinpoint mode plus the object size indication in the pinpoint mode usually give away close, large objects.  When in doubt I raise the coil and see how high I must go to lose the signal.

But I do agree that some kind of overload indication (if it doesn't cost performance in other ways) would save quite a bit of wasted hunting time.  Maybe there are other (reliable) tricks that help identify those deep, large objects but I haven't found one.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Better than 12 inches deep!  ?

Seriously, those are the more difficult ones for me both in terms of fooling me and worse, causing me to dig deep.  The modulation, both in the search mode and with the pinpoint mode plus the object size indication in the pinpoint mode usually give away close, large objects.  When in doubt I raise the coil and see how high I must go to lose the signal.

But I do agree that some kind of overload indication (if it doesn't cost performance in other ways) would save quite a bit of wasted hunting time.  Maybe there are other (reliable) tricks that help identify those deep, large objects but I haven't found one.

Agreed the deeper cans are the worst.  I always remember the raising the coil trick after I've dug the offending shallow target ?  

• Like 1

... in the test firmware  for Equinox... it was also possible to set the pinpoint power ... I would appreciate the possibility in another update ...- to set it up as a very weak signal, or not on a very deep coin ....

• Like 1

Let me throw this photo at you.   Notice the earring...... its a 14k 1 gram...... the chain is SS i got them both today with the Nox.   They were really SOFT tones very much like a tiny piece of can foil out there.   BOTH read 1 digit..... AND i get more depth on the earring than the chain???   Tested it on 3 Xcals both in disc and PP..... nada on the chain.   So i grabbed the CTX...... barely heard the chain except when i rubbed it on the center of the coil.   I guess i know why it wasnt found.  Let me add...... that chain was as you see it CLOSED.

IMG_0108.JPG

• Like 2

So that's why for all these years I have dug stainless boating hardware out of my lakes everyone else has been passing over.  The Nox gets SS nut bolts and other fasteners just like any good single freq machine. 

I never could understand why anyone would use an Excal in fresh water and that goes for the CZ20/21 as well.

Besides bottle caps, I think the Equinox is doing pretty good with big iron. I am running beach1 with default IB and RS and I can't even remember, if I've ever dug a big peace of iron with it ... :ph34r:    I must admit - I've never verified the ones I thought they're big iron, because the Nox just let's you know, somehow. If you're running high RS settings, you notice small differences in how long a signal is ringing, depending on the target size. You can then swing suuuuper slow to verify (like ~5-15cm/s).. that way you really get a good idea of the target size.. seemed to have saved me from digging groundwater :happy:

• Like 3

On 9/25/2018 at 5:42 PM, EL NINO77 said:

The Iron Bias setting also influences: 1.Of the detector frequency used, or the multifactor program weights, 2. the set recovery speed ...,. 3 Detector Discrimination Used. and also 4.
  detector sensitivity adjustment ... Now you can select -A: Do you want to increase the separation and unmasking of the detector in the iron? .. or B-do you want to discern iron-plated bottle cap caps? ... If you want to maximize the separation-A give the frequency, the multifrequency program type Park 2, the high recovery speed, the  less or no dyscrimination, and  less the sensitivity of the detector ... If you want to determine what is a ferrous waste- B, use a low frequency, a low power, low-frequency Beach 2 program to scale!, increase the iron bias to the maximum !,recovery speed high 7-8-!-its less sensible for, tini,or plated metal.. , increase the discrimination setting- !, and decrease the sensitivity...

...Today I was passed the Equinox 6 "coil on my Carbon Telescopic shaft, on my" clean terrain, and I started  Test 1-"determination of Iron" to compare the work of the Park 2 main program and the iron control of the Beach 2 program stored in the User profile .. at high sensitivity 23 .. I compared the signals with ID 15-17 before digging with a fine iron tone, which, after checking in the Beach 2 program, clearly pointed to id -6 and the pure iron tone ... which after the excavations turned out to be old nails ... Another comparison Test2 -"identifikation nonferous" was found in the Park 2 signal program with positive IDs with a bit of iron signal that would be in line with the Beach2 ID and then dig it ... I dug a few pieces of colored metal .. so I have the impression of reliably  getting enough of this test. .My program Park2 settings: sensibility 23, allmetal,recovery speed 7,iron bias 0-1,. For control Iron-  In user profile: program Beach 2,sensibility 23, allmetal ,recovery speed 8, and iron Bias 9.. It's during the test 1. - the nails in the ground - in Park 2 I have been trying to reduce the sensitivity from 23 to 15 to lower to get some better signal on iron and less signal for colored metal .. - but it was also not ideal. Continue in 2 tests to see from program Beach 2 did not have the problem to show a good ID for such a small shot-pelet in the ground ..Photo on left side test1- determination of iron-is pulled out of iron ... on the right side Test 2 on the truth of identification of non-ferrous metal ...3  pellets and piece of metal ..

september 7 iphone 5S 2018 037_DxO.jpg

• Like 1