Equinox Ferrous / Iron / Steel Responses

Daniel Tn

On 10/12/2018 at 7:26 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Come again on that last one, Clive.  You lost me on the shorthand.  As a matter of fact, even though you and Dew have the ESP going, would you mind expanding what you were driving at with that last sentence without the shorthand? It has me curious and though I think I deciphered some of it, I do not have it all figured out.  Thanks.

Well Chase my experience with the CTX has been that the key to getting better performance with it is to find ways to settle the machine down so as to allow higher Gain to be run.  The "shorthand" lays out a few methods: fast Rec Spd,  more Bias, slow coil, raised coil--Tone Break up above zero....still learning about this machine in salt and those are some of the tests Im running. 

Regards clive  

• Like 2

If you are talking about my chain........ no i ment .4 grams.... and one im sure i wouldnt have gotten without the S clasp and tiny heart.... but it was the total weight that impressed me.

I think most of us water guys at least, find that the bottle caps arent as difficult to recognize when salt water is added....... maybe because the sensitivity changes just enough.   But ...... there are a lot of tells to bottle caps and thou we may dig some...... im not certain the ones we dig now i woudnt have dug with other machines..... or at least checked.    The bottle caps that come in at 10 on most of my beaches arent shallow ones...... they sound real good.   The shallow ones....... jump ..... from say a -1, to 15, to 26.  With the old program...... if theres a 15 in there 90% of the time its a bottle cap.   I think it was an initial complaint....... but more are getting used to them.   The most irritating thing to me is ....... minerals jumping out of the first bin and causing falsing in the second.   IF that was cleared up....... it would make for a quieter machine....... but that maybe the nature of the beast to get the sensitivity right at the salt setting.  Im sure dirt hunters who have to make the decision to dig or not in certain areas like parks or yards have a far greater frustration point than i do.

I agree with you Clive those methods work pretty well to curve the mineral noise, except...... ive found gold at that 1 and 2 digit..... so i dig those in the water..... just different style of hunting, im one of the rare guys that likes looking for small gold others pass up.  Its not time efficient...... but sometimes i dont go home empty handed.... especially with our current conditions.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 9/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, Daniel Tn said:

There is a lot of info coming through via audio in the Equinox, if a person chooses to utilize it.  I personally believe using anything other than 50 tones takes away the nuances of the audio.  You'll get a cleaner hit in the 2 or 5 tone options but you can't hear those nuances.  Somehow I think Minelab has this machine being able to determine that an object is an alloy, and can report the differences in the metal alloys.  I could be wrong, as I'm just guessing based on the signal I have gotten and what the object actually turned out being. I have no idea how many hours of use I have on the unit. I don't keep track of all that as it really doesn't matter.  If I'm in a site where I'm going to dig everything non ferrous, I will go to 2 tone and have clearer sounds on targets.  If I'm in trash and cherry picking, I'll be in 50 tone.

I have found something though that has came in with the Nox update.  My machine did not do this before with the old version.

I had some items laid out on a rubber stall mat doing a video between the Nox and Kruzer.  I happened to have the small coils on them and some pieces of flat iron, bottle caps, and a coin or two.  The target this happened on was a US silver quarter laying flat.  When I ran the coil over the quarter to show the difference in sounds....I didn't get a sound but maybe once out of 3 swings over the top of the quarter.  Very odd...I had to look and make sure I hadn't somehow discriminated out the quarter range, and I hadn't. 

ya there's a lot of info in 2 tone just never needed to get away from it except maybe to smooth out the big coil in salt.  I think that alloys just don't sound off a strong and a peaked response (easier to hear in 2 tone)_ means something that's clean metal and distinct from the ground--not corroded. cjc

• Like 1