GM1000 Vs Equinox Vs White’s 24k

The Monster has a Fun factor that I have never really experienced in any other Detector.  It’s simplicity is a beautiful thing. 

Bryan

• Like 4

On 10/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, Dubious said:

Since the fans of the GM1000 apparently believe its tracking does better than the GMT's tracking system, it probably depends on how well the new XGB circuitry performs and whether it really does bring something different to the GM.

According to the paper White’s put out on XGB, it does bring something different. The gist of it is that XGB is a real weapon in highly variable ground types.

Click for larger version:

whites-xgb-ground-balance-explained.jpg

Nice!

Jeff McClendon,

What other complaints did you have that the upgrade fixed? I recently rolled back the upgrade and it isn’t as chattery; a bit smoother it seems. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi rled2005,

sorry, I just noticed your question.......my bad!  The Equinox update really helped my 800 and 600 in four big ways. I hunt mostly in highly mineralized naturally iron infested 4 to 5 bar dirt that GBs to 85+ most of the time and I can only use a screwdriver and probe... no shovels!. Depth determination before attempting target recovery is a major issue.  The depth meter before the update was iffy at best on coin sized targets. Now it is much more accurate for coin sized targets in the 2.5 to 7.5" range. The pinpointer in both of my Equinoxes was not very accurate and was sometimes off the center of coin sized targets by more than 1 inch to the right and upwards of the coil knuckle and/or would repeatedly ghost with weak volume on 2.5" to 5" targets. After the update pinpointing is only off by less than an inch and that seems to be on coin sized targets that are not horizontal. I still get some odd volume changes both high and low occasionally. Higher conductive targets on edge are detected much better than before the update and I am easily detecting dimes and copper pennies deeper than 5" with excellent target ID in trashy areas. That wasn't happening before the update. Finally, I think my 800 and 600 are quieter than they were before......but maybe that is just my imagination kicking in again.

thanks,

Jeff 

My EQ800 sounds like there is a ton of small hot rocks under the grass when sweeping. Good signals will come through, but the chatter is annoying. If they only able to program in a volume control with the tone zones! that way what you don't want to hear would be silenced. I know there is the notch option. With silent search you would still have some ID going on.

Hi rled2005,

This should probably be in the Equinox Fan Club discussion. I hunt in public parks, usual ground balance (85) or 2 to 3 on the 800, that are full of aluminum/steel bottle cap trash from surface to who knows how deep. I can often get over 5 separate signals in one sweep. I am trying to clear out most of the targets in the upper 5" at  the places I hunt. That could take years! That way I can get down to what I hope is the good stuff below the 5" level. I hunt in basic Part 1 and Park 2 with discrimination at +2.  I rarely have my sensitivity above 13! If I go over that level the targets start to smear together and I will also start detecting the sprinkler systems at the parks. I use 5 tones most of the time. In reference to your tone volume adjust statement, I believe you can adjust the volume level of any of the 5 tone segments in 5 tone mode. I have the first tone set on 1 for the minimum amount of iron range volume. I have the nickel range at max and the major aluminum trash 14 to 18 at 2 volume level. I have penny range and silver range at max. The vast majority of the targets I hear are in the 6 to 10 and 14 to 18 range unfortunately (right where the really good gold jewelry is) and I have to listen very carefully without going crazy. The 6" coil comes in really handy sometimes in the worst spots. So, unless you have horrendous EMI in your area you may have a similar heavy trash concentration problem like me.

It is possible about the trash. But the soil under the grass is very rocky, and some of the rocks are magnetic. I will try to go to a lower sens. adj. Afraid of losing depth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, Dubious said:

I was originally aiming at getting a Gold Bug 2.  Many still seem to consider it the "gold standard" for finding extremely small gold--and I actually like knobs.  But, the sleek new machines with advanced features are seductive.

I wonder if Minelab is planning to bring out a Multi-Q gold detector, like the Nox but with a higher mix of frequencies, maybe 15-20-30-50-70?  Seems like it would be hot on all sizes of nuggets.

I moved from the Gmt/MXT and Sovereign GT to a Whites 24K and Nox 800... basically just modernized my tools.

I agree, something like Multi-Q Gold Nox would be very sweet. I'm not very impressed with the GM 1000 as it really seems like a Bounty Hunter with an ML decal... very toy-ish feeling/working.

The Whites 24K is very impressive and is a solid, multi option, 1 freq detector. I'm very sure if it were a multi freq machine it would easily dominate the VLF gold market.

On the other hand, all ML needs to do is mod the Nox 800 with 8-10 kick-ass modes (remove the coin & park stuff), give it 24K options, and BAM!!!, we'll have a superior VLF gold machine.

Joe

• Like 3

When the Equinox 6-800's flood the market, sales will drop, people will not be able to recoup most of their money spent, then ML will make an Equinox 600/800 II or SE. Maybe some improved programs due to complaints or wishes of the consumers.

But it all still boils down to the detectorist/user's experience and learning abillities. I still do good with a Tesoro, which is a good machine to tune your listening ability to good targets, IMO.