Will Equinox Pave The Way?

Desert Dawg

I wonder if Minelab will build a dedicated nugget detector in the style of the equinox, but with gpz type technology. This seems to be the way the CZX by Fisher is headed. I think the Equinox will open up many more machines in the same style eventually. I would hope for concentric and dd coils and more power in a lightweight dedicated nugget hunting package.

GPZ?  Are you referring to Minelab's PI (pulse induction) detectors?  If so, I don't think so. Different technologies.  When all is said and done, the Equinox is just another VLF induction balancing detector, the latest wrinkle on Minelab's multifrequency approach.  What I would expect the Nox to lead to, whatever they call it, is the next generation in the premium EX/ET/CTX line--a machine that utilizes 5 discrete frequencies like the Nox (or maybe more) but also gives you the dual FE/CO numbers and other bells and whistles of the CTX.  Minelab is probably working on it now.  Now, if Minelab were Nokta, we'd probably already be reading about this machine and seeing preliminary reports :)

• Like 1

I think we all would love a lighter detector in the PI range. Don't think the technology would support a smaller package, but I am not knowledgeable about the size of the electronics needed to do what the 7000 does.

• Like 1

I believe Minelab has already announced they have no plans for any future single frequency detectors. In that sense the "will obsolete single frequency" was spot on because that is exactly what is has done at Minelab. That's not to say all single frequency detectors will stop working (that is not what obsolete means) nor does it mean existing models will not continue to be sold. But do expect anything new from Minelab to be leveraging more advanced technologies.

Nokta/Makro also sees which way the wind is blowing. Quoting Dilek Gonulay "Anfibio is planned to be the last series that will not have SMF (except for our entry level devices coming up)". SMF means Simultaneous Multi Frequency. The entry level device referred to is no doubt the new Simplex series.

Single frequency tech is well known and good units can be made by any company that has metal detecting expertise. I think that increasing foreign competition will relegate basic single frequency units to the under $500 or lower entry level market. This is already happening with many older existing single frequency models seeing price drops to $500 or lower. It will be impossible to compete in price as the competition races to the bottom, especially with the Chinese finally making some credible entries into the market. The only way any company will be able to command higher prices is going to be the inclusion of multifrequency or hybrid tech in new premium models.

So yes, I do think Equinox is paving the way to the next generation of detectors, mainly by resetting what people expect in detectors selling for over $500. I can get an Equinox 600 for under $600 (shop around) so why pay more for some single frequency model?

Fisher has done multifrequency in the past (CZ series) and it is a stated goal for them to produce a new multifrequency model. White's has been a multifrequency leader. It would seem the company with the most to lose here is Garrett, which has never made a serious entry into multifrequency.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, flakmagnet said:

Is there a multifrequency potential in pulse induction technology?

It wouldn't mean the same thing. As I understand it, VLF detectors use a current at a very low frequency sine wave to energize the transmitting coil, and multifrequency VLF detectors generate multiple frequencies simultaneously (or in rapid sequence).  The receive coil is shielded from the transmit coil, and picks up the magnetic field generated by eddy currents the transmit coil's field has induced in metalic objects/targets. By measuring the phase differences between the transmitted and received fields, information is gained concerning the target. Measurements made at multiple frequencies (i.e. wavelengths) can provide more information about the target.  This transmit/receive process takes place at the same time.

PI detectors work differently, and "multifrequency" wouldn't have the same meaning. PI dectors energize the coil with a short pulse of direct (continuous) current then cut off the current and measure the time it takes for the generated electromagnetic field to collapse. The "collapse" time is influenced by weak fields generated by induced eddy currents in the metallic target, allowing its detection (but not providing much other information).  The process is then repeated. I suppose you could vary the rate, or frequency, of these pulses-followed-by-measuring-the-collapse, but it wouldn't have the same meaning as with a VLF detector, and I'm doubtful it could provide more information about the target. But, I don't know much about PI detectors, so hopefully someone else can give a more definitive answer.

• Like 2