Will Equinox Pave The Way?

Desert Dawg

17 hours ago, Mxt Sniper said:

What I mean by gpz technology, in general is, hybrid technology.

Then what do you mean by hybrid technology? GPZ isn't hybrid, it's constant-current PI.

10 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Is there a multifrequency potential in pulse induction technology?

GPX uses multi-period PI which is somewhat akin to MF. It is possible to mix PI and VLF in a hybrid, and then to extend that to MF.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, Mxt Sniper said:

This seems to be the way the CZX by Fisher is headed.

Whatever way the CZX was headed, it wasn't that way.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Geotech said:

This seems to be the way the CZX by Fisher is headed.

8 hours ago, Geotech said:

Whatever way the CZX was headed, it wasn't that way.

So it was a no go, a dead end or did it lead to the discovery of something potentially greater?

2 hours ago, Geotech said:

Didn't give the results we were looking for. So dead-end, more or less.

Carl,

Thanks for the candor regarding th CZX. 

I know a lot of people are wondering about the prototype  Manta. Question,  Is the mechanical aspect nearing completion and can we expect pretty good ergo's?

Thanks again

Tom

Bummer. Kind of had that feeling on the CZX but we are rooting for you Carl. Got a spot waiting in my lineup for Manta but do take the time to get the ergonomics right. All you have to do is meet or beat the waterproof TDI for performance and at a lower weight than 5.3 lbs and I will be happy. Best wishes to everyone at FT!

Other than the Manta (which I've been following and although it's an interesting acquisition I personally have very little interest in it as I cannot see taking it to a ghost town or stage stop...at least not yet)....  So with FTP being so tight lipped, why are they actually sharing a little bit on the Manta as it's being tested and ushered into production?  Did they finally learn it's better to say something and stir up interest, then say nothing and watch all their competitors have all the fun?  

I hope FTP has something else up their sleeve, and I would enjoy seeing them be more transparent in the future.

1 minute ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I hope FTP has something else up their sleeve, and I would enjoy seeing them be more transparent in the future

I'm sure they are working on other projects besides buttoning up Andre's Manta. 

The bar got set a couple notches higher with the Nox but I have confidence in the talented people at FTP.

1 minute ago, Jackpine said:

I'm sure they are working on other projects besides buttoning up Andre's Manta. 

The bar got set a couple notches higher with the Nox but I have confidence in the talented people at FTP.

Sure, I doubt they sit around twiddling their thumbs all day, but on the other side of the coin, it's been a long, long time since anything innovative has come out of FTP.  Their selling boatloads of bounty hunters (Costco, Walmart, sporting good stores, etc),  and they've repacked the F75 a hundred different ways to Sunday, and even the T2 to an extent.  They built a new "state of the art" factory.  Heck I even saw a video of someone that did a tour of the new factory, and stated that they "were working on great new things that would be out soon" but even that was last year. We've been hearing for ten+ years their next BIG thing was coming, so as much as we all know their capable of great things, here we sit speculating what these great things may or may not be while some of the competitors are actually walking the walk.   Yes the Manta is interesting, but let's be honest, it's an acquisition, so they really had almost nothing to do with it.  Sure they tidied up the design, and mechanical aspects, but it's not their invention. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them come out with something that blows the Equinox away, but thus far, there's zero evidence to indicate that will ever happen.

• Like 1

Other than the Equinox there really is nothing new for competition. FTP could have competed with Garret and their AT series but chose not to for whatever reason.  The market for single freq and selectable frequency waterproof machines is saturated now anyway. 

Cranking out a multitude of new 3 frequency machines on a yearly basis is similar in practice to FTP's updating of their older top end machines and we can now get those at some really good prices.

Since the long awaited CZX was a dead end we will just have to wait longer for that great new thing as we have no other choice.  I'm sure the Equinox wasn't hatched in a day either.

That said, I agree it would be nice to get a tid bit of info from them.

?

• Like 2

It would be nice to see Fisher consolidate their single frequency lineup into two machines and perhaps take their multi frequency from the CZ-21 and stick it in a newer platform. It should have a digital display, waterproof to 30 feet, adjustable recovery speed and priced $150 less then the Equinox 800. That would at least make them a few bucks taking some of the market back from the Equinox. Innovate.

I guess it's possible that Fisher has just grown too big to worry specifically about metal detectorists, they seem to be in the business of selling electronics to retailers, which is kinda a different thing if you know what I mean. Would fisher even do better as a company if they did have an Equinox beater? Its a weird way to think of it, but accounting makes for some weird decisions from our point of view I suppose.

They have that Carl guy at least who probably knows as much about the behind the scenes tech as anyone, so I like to think if the opportunity comes up for some new tech that isn't already riddled with patents, he is the guy to recognize it. Perhaps that is what they are doing with the Manta.

I wonder what Minelab could do with the Manta as far as bringing it closer to being a real competitor against a VLF discriminator.

On further reflection, the Manta doesn't necessarily have to discriminate as well as a VLF to carve a very nice niche for itself at FIsher. I myself would trade off the ability to put a TID number on a coin if the Manta had reliable ferrous/non ferrous ID with the  most of the depth and sensitivity expected of a pulse. That would make for a great water machine for me, I would pay $800-$1500 US for it. I know the CZ-21 is $1,800, but what can I say? Times change. That is probably why I've never seen a CZ-21 in the wild, it's more money then the Excalibur for no particular reason that I can see.