Rattlesnakes And Coil Bump Falsing - Nox 800

CrainRacing

Heya everyone;

So I have a quick question about my Nox 800 with factory coil. 
When I bump the coil she falses, consistently at that.
When I have it right on the ground I have to be careful not to tap any rocks or bump the coil on the ground otherwise she falses. 

Is this normal or could I have an issue with my coil?

And for the Rattlesnakes, this big ol brute just about slithered over my feet tonight when I was loading the Nox back into the Jeep! 

Thanks everyone :) 

It's funny you mention it. My 600 did this a lot. It would do it if I bumped into anything ever so slightly, and it would do it if there were any slight downward pressure on the coil such as if I were to switch arms with the machine standing upright on the ground. My greatest problem with it was that it did it while brushing the ground ever so slightly too, so I had to be sure to keep it up higher during my swing than other machines. It was not as forgiving if it brushed the grass on a low swing, or while investigating deeper signals. I felt that it ought not do that but others said theirs did too and one claimed it was the sensitivity of the machine and coil configuration. I argued that the coil housing is not robust enough and some machines are reflecting it more than others. That I've had other sensitive machines that did not do it to such an extent. Turning the sensitivity down did help, but not until it was down to below 18, usually around 14. In any case, it only behaved this way if I bumped it or put pressure on it, so I let it slide and I guess I learned to adapt to it. Now I've moved up to the 800, and I've noticed that it does not do what the 600 did. Not even close. It is closer to what I've been used to from other "sensitive" machines, so I still wonder whether I was right in my feeling that something was off. I brought it up very early on, on a Facebook page and the keepers of the great obsoletor were guarding the portals, jumping on anyone who dared complain about the collar locks or any other issue. 

The Equinox does not normally make a false signal from bumping the coil. The only time I have seen it is in Gold Mode with high sensitivity and low recovery speed. If you are using stock settings and getting constant false signals from bumping the coil something is wrong.

• Like 2

I have experienced a very minor, very small amount of this bump falsing when the sensitivity is over 20 ( I hunt primarily in park 2, and fields 1 and 2) and  I’ve always considered it more or less normal, as I’ve noticed similar on other machines. It generally only occurs when the coil bumps or taps into a rock or fallen tree branch, or if I apply pressure to the detector when the coil is resting on the ground. I shall have to keep track of how much and how often I notice it if as you say, Steve, it is not normal. 

Has anyone else noticed this ? 

I have yet to have a rattlesnake encounter 

or copperhead for that matter, though the latter is inevitable. 

I've not noticed false signals when bumping the coil.  

Mine may just be because i have it in salt water.......its possible i run to high of sensitivity at 20.   Cant say i notice it when bumped out of the water...... and i keep my coil on the sand.  Worth seeing if someone has another coil you can swap and check. 

• Like 1