Rattlesnakes And Coil Bump Falsing - Nox 800

CrainRacing

I noticed bump sensitivity on the Equinox when GB was adjusted to high numbers.  During a relic hunt last spring, I started noticing bump sensitivity in a cornfield when bumping against corn stubble.  Thought I had a coil connection or coil issue as I could get noise simply by shaking the coil in the air.  Switched modes and noticed it didn't happen in the other modes (I think I was running Field 2 at the time).  Reset the machine switched to Field 2 again and no issues until I auto ground balanced again to a high number (>50) and the bump sensitivity returned.  I increased the GB setting on Park 2 from the default 0 to a similarly high number and got the same bump sensitivity in that mode, so I determined the hot soil GB setting was the culprit and continued on detecting.  FWIW.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 9/29/2018 at 1:20 AM, CrainRacing said:

Heya everyone;

So I have a quick question about my Nox 800 with factory coil. 
When I bump the coil she falses, consistently at that.
When I have it right on the ground I have to be careful not to tap any rocks or bump the coil on the ground otherwise she falses. 

Is this normal or could I have an issue with my coil?

And for the Rattlesnakes, this big ol brute just about slithered over my feet tonight when I was loading the Nox back into the Jeep! 

Thanks everyone 🙂

I was just out at the river today, and this was happening with my 6 inch coil. It's would false on everything. It was even giving signals if I stopped, and pumped the coil like when you ground balance. It was especially pronounced in the water. I've had this detector 2 1/2 years or more, and it has never done this to this extent 🤷

Update: I did a little testing, and found that when I hook up the 6in coil, it will signal if it bumps anything. If I shake the coil side to side, or up and down, it signals. I hooked up the default 11 in coil, and nothing. This leads me to believe that there must be some kind of malfunction with the 6in coil.

• Like 1