Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Video - Two Civil War Buckles In One Day!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      I've been meaning to post this for a while . After seeing the great finds GKman found on the Equinox forum, it reminded me to post this.  Here is a shot of most of the brass Native American kettle points we found from an ongoing project. These points were found by 4 other hunters and myself. I get asked a lot of times from people that find their own points, how old are they? and what tribe do they belong to? The time period is easy, early to mid 1600's., but the attribution is more difficult. So we are in the process of starting a data base of points found while metal detecting. Since I am a metal detectorist, first and foremost , I informed them that the exact locations are not going to be disclosed 😄. No one is going to give GPS numbers on their finds.  The people I have worked with for the past 8 years are excellent people and are only interested in general information and a good, clear picture with a ruler or measurements (length and width). This data base will allow us to see where points are generally found and will eventually be able to attribute styles of points to actual tribes. I have only 1 point that was found at a cellar hole, on my own and have given them the information on where it was found. Only the town and state. That is all they needed. So if anyone is interested in contributing information (anonymously if you choose), I would be glad to log it in. Hope you enjoy the picture. It represents around 10 tribes that fought along side the English, against the Pequot tribe. If you have never had the privilege of digging one of those, I can say it never gets old. I have had the pleasure of pulling a lot of those points pictured from the dirt and the feeling is always the same 😯

• By Dan(NM)
      Yesterday my buddy stumbled onto another hot spot at the 1850's site we've been hunting since the beginning of the year and found a Dragoon and an R button along with a really nice rosette. He wasn't able to go out today, but he gave me his blessing to head over and hunt it today. I'm sure he's not to happy about that now 🙂
        I got there at 05:30 this morning and right away period items began to come to light, dropped musket ball, pistol ball, percussion cap and a trouser button on the first pass. That's always a good sign when you start to pull some keepers right from the get go. On the next pass, a percussion cap, 2 pulltabs, a pistol ball and then I get a 21-22 on the Nox 800. We seldom get very many items that hit in the 20's except aluminum slaw or deeply buried aluminum cans, most hits are in the 9 to 19 range. I fully expected to dig a piece of trash and was totally unprepared for what came out, when I saw what it was, I just threw it back onto the dirt pile, stood up and started walking around stunned. A major bucket lister that I always wanted to dig, but just never figured I'd ever see come outta the hole, my first Spanish Reale.  My goal for the day was to at least dig a Dragoon or maybe another R button. This was the last thing I thought would ever come from this site, I'm still in awe that I was privileged to find such an awesome coin.
        Somehow I was able to compose myself and continue hunting for another 9 hours and ended up with some excellent relics to add to my display case once I finish hunting this site. I did dig a lead, 1 piece button, my 3rd from here, anyone have any idea if it's period and what it's from?  Once again my settings on the Nox

11" coil
      Sens 23
      Recovery 4
      Iron bias  0
      No disc
      GB at 3-6
      Park 1
      2-tones
      Tone break -9 to +8

• By Rivers rat
      Hello went back to the spot of my latest trench and decided to dig one longer,i left markers last week which were still there on thursday but were gone on Saturday ...........so i left some this time heavy enough that u need a bit of strength to move those rock.......I was equipped with the 9"HF 1 spade ,1 pickaxe and 1 Hodan pick.Weather was ok not too hot.
      The pickaxe really helped to loosen the compacted gravel,and i think with a bit of practice i will getter better at it.I detected the spoil once out ,and it was very easy with the deus to switch 
      on and off.

So i found:
      -1 Rose farthing
      -1 Nuremberg token
      -1 beautiful button from the 4th regiment of the East  India Company
      -1 roman coin
      -1 strap of some sort probably medieval.

I did found anything while refilling the trench(which is good) and i more than happy with the result as i still got 100s of trench to do on that spot but also i am the only one allowed as most of the license holders are scrapping only🍌.I also found a pretty long clay pipe

Enjoy the work out 

RR

• By Rivers rat
      Hello to all went for a bit of digging on Sunday ,next to home.I could not carry all the gear on the motorbike so i walked ,loaded like a Trooper from Easy company on DDAY.....peeps were looking at me i was expecting to hear:
      -NORMANDY??That way!!➡️➡️➡️!🇫🇷

Anyway when i am digging alone on the foreshore i decided to do trenches long and not very deep to check the layers of different soils and try i took the GMPwith the elliptical coil on her maiden voyage.

It is hard work and  i was sweating like a pig ,and i am fit,i stopped at 2.5 feet

So on the menu we got:
      2 early clay pipes 16/17th century
      Pieces of crap and a brass bracelet
      The silver bit was found while testing the coil ,and the best find was what i think is a Pilgrim Pendant with a scallop maybe 12th century/14th century nothing amazing but why got to the gym when you can exercise doing what you love :):)

Enjoy

RR

• By Dan(NM)
      Still hunting the 1850's fort site that we started hunting around the first of the year and I was able to dig a few keepers. I started the morning using the CTX, but within 30 minutes, headed to the car to put her away. There's a time and place for the 3030, but, this place isn't it. Wandered around for a little while trying to get in tune, so I decided to hunt in between a couple of trees in an area we haven't put much pressure on. I stayed in that one area for about 7 hours and dug an unusual amount of epaulette debris today. I managed to score my first R button along with a Dragoon and a plain Eagle cuff. Targets were plentiful, so, we'll be back to give this spot a good working over. Towards the end of the day I dug a toasted copper coin that was banging 28-30, which after a little cleaning at home, it looks to be a mid 1800's Mexican 1/4 reale. This makes the fourth one to come out of here so far.

My settings on the 800 were:

Park 1

11" coil

Sens 22

Recovery 4

Iron bias 0

2-Tone

Tone break -9 to +8

Auto GB
      No Disc

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Spud Digger invited me to a Private Property hunt last weekend with about 25 other diggers.  The site goes back to the 1860's.  Now I wish all the finds were dated then, but the cabins were used and lived in in the 1900's Depression era too.  Yes we find the occasional wheat cent from the 30's, but that is ok.  We also get hunt the mining piles for gold nuggets, which makes this exact place a fun hunt for those who enjoy a variety.
      Anyway, my oldest US coin on this hunt was an 1890 Indian Head cent, as well as a couple Chinese Cache coins, a lead soldier on a horse, a coin size sterling flower piece, a cute little shoe bottom (either a child or a Chinamen?).  Also recovered the normal suspender clasps, buckles and a few eye candy glass buttons.  Even a non metal knife sharpener was spotted in one of my digs.
      One of my favorite finds besides the "Idaho City, Idaho" token (I love local history saves), was the tire pressure gauge.
      But the best find of the trip by anyone (at least in my opinion) was the 1918 State of Idaho Chauffeur #1159 Badge.  Part of what made this find so unique is the lady digger who found it, was sifting for bottles and not even using a detector.  If anyone can share some light on the badge, please let us know.