War Of 1812 Bear Hunt

Guest calabash digger

• 1 month later...

In reality, about one person per year (average) is killed by bears in Alaska. That has been the case for the past 100 years or more.  Back in 2010 or so there was a database about the number of humans killed by bears in Alaska that spanned about 100 years, but the database is not longer posted on the Internet. The person who created it was Tom Smith, who back then worked in Alaska. Some years we have two killed by bears, and I believe that was the case last year.

Also, at least one person has been killed by wolves. This attack happened in a rural village where she was a teacher.

“In the 2000s, there have been 46 total fatal bear attack incidents, resulting in 48 total deaths, in North America, so far. Of these incidents, 27 occurred in the United States, and 19 occurred in Canada” Source

Aprroximately 1500 to 2000 bears a year are killed by hunters in Alaska. The most dangerous animal in the woods walks on two legs.

Oh well, I should have left that one be. This really has nothing to do with metal detecting in general and the Equinox in particular. Sharks, bears and other things that could eat you understandably tend to freak people out. I worry a lot more about running into bad people than bad bears personally, but that’s just me. I think bears are a photo opportunity...

?do=download

?do=download

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

“In the 2000s, there have been 46 total fatal bear attack incidents, resulting in 48 total deaths, in North America, so far. Of these incidents, 27 occurred in the United States, and 19 occurred in Canada” Source

Aprroximately 1500 to 2000 bears a year are killed by hunters in Alaska. The most dangerous animal in the woods walks on two legs.

Oh well, I should have left that one be. This really has nothing to do with metal detecting in general and the Equinox in particular. Sharks, bears and other things that could eat you understandably tend to freak people out. I worry a lot more about running into bad people than bad bears personally, but that’s just me.

I understand your points, and don't have anything against.  Two persons were killed in Alaska this year, and two in 2017. But I have no idea about the rest of the US, since that database I was referring to pertained to Alaska only. Of the bears you have mentioned, a small portion are killed by Alaska hunters, and the majority by non-Alaskan hunters. However, according the F&G, the brown and grizzly bears population alone is around 36,000.  Black bears are supposed to be around 100,000.  Also, while some hunters get mauled or even killed every now and then, most of the dead aren't hunters, but people in the outdoors hiking, camping, mining, and so on.

When gold detecting, specially if wearing headphones, bears and other wildlife is something to be cautious about when in remote areas in the outdoors.

• Like 2

Yep. Staying alert while metal detecting in the woods, park, field or beach is a safety requirement. The two legged kind is my biggest concern as well.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:43 AM, BeachHunter said:

Yep. Staying alert while metal detecting in the woods, park, field or beach is a safety requirement. The two legged kind is my biggest concern as well.

Alaska is not very populated. In fact when placer mining and such I rarely see anybody other than the friends I am mining with. The same if I were detecting for nuggets.  Then if detecting at the local places around Fairbanks, people just don't mess around with anybody since open or concealed carry is legal and lots of people are armed. People up here tend to leave others alone, unless one hangs around bad places at night. Even the drunks roaming around downtown Fairbanks don't give you a hard time.

• Like 1