Blown Out By Emi

Cal_Cobra

I was finally able to get out for a little bit of detecting at one of my proving grounds.    It's a site whereas almost all of the older coins are deep, or masked.  I started detecting the site when I had a ML Sovereign, but the CZ70 was the first machine that really unlocked the site, and I found that while the first 6" had been strip mined, if you could punch below that, there was an entire strata of coins that had never been touched.  For years I pulled old coins out of the deeper depths, and would take any new detector acquisition there test it out.  After detecting it for a few years with the F75 LTD/LTD2, it dried up, zero silver for several years and it would take everything you had to eek out one wheatie or IHP.  Fast forward to my introduction to the Makro Red Racer, and the site opened up again, first hunt landed two silver coins, an IHP and a few wheaties, this trend was repeatable at subsequent visits with the Red Racer, then the Racer 2 and so on.  I took the Equinox there this spring and had one of my best days ever, with something like 12 old coins, including a few silver coins.  

Last weekend I upgraded the EQ800 to 1.75, and took it to the site.  I couldn't get the Equinox to run stable, which is odd as I never experienced that before.  I was trying to run Park1 and Park2, noise canceled, ground balanced, drooped the gain, it just wouldn't run stable.  I cycled through the individual frequencies and with the exception of 40, the rest all had audible EMI.  I ran in 40 for a bit, but it felt like it just wasn't performing as needed.  I did notice the last time I was there that I needed the gain as high as possible to punch down to those deeper coins (I was digging silver dimes and wheaties from depths measured at 10" deep.

I'm left wondering if this EMI issue was a one time thing (won't know until I'm able to return), or was the machine made less stable with the new firmware upgrade, or was something else at play.  

I've had less EMI issues with the 1.75 software.  However, as you say, EMI is variable even for fixed sites (I've returned to three sites where I've had EMI problems with the 1.5 software) so it's not easy to determine what is the cause or what is the solution.  I'm not going on record saying I definitely notice a difference (improvement in my case so far), either.  I've run about 165 hours with the 1.5 version and about 15 hours (not enough) with the 1.75 software.  I definitely need to collect more data.

Also, I've never had EMI problems with 15 kHz nor 20 kHz.  5 kHz, yes, everytime I have problems in multi mode I can't run 5 kHz.  Once I couldn't run 40 kHz and a couple times I got EMI noise at 10 kHz.

39 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've had less EMI issues with the 1.75 software.  However, as you say, EMI is variable even for fixed sites (I've returned to three sites where I've had EMI problems with the 1.5 software) so it's not easy to determine what is the cause or what is the solution.  I'm not going on record saying I definitely notice a difference (improvement in my case so far), either.  I've run about 165 hours with the 1.5 version and about 15 hours (not enough) with the 1.75 software.  I definitely need to collect more data.

Also, I've never had EMI problems with 15 kHz nor 20 kHz.  5 kHz, yes, every time I have problems in multi mode I can't run 5 kHz.  Once I couldn't run 40 kHz and a couple times I got EMI noise at 10 kHz.

It was odd, never been blown out like that before.  5 kHz always seems to most susceptible, but for 15 kHz and 20 kHz to be blown out too was a new experience.  And to be honest, if I'm stuck running 15 kHz or 20 kHz, I might as well grab my Multi Kruzer as you've lost the competitive advantage of Multi-IQ when in single frequency mode.     

I did get a lot of low conductor signals with 40 kHz, but I'm not ready to dig them yet (want to strip all the high conductors first).  Maybe when I get ready to strip out the low conductors, I'll just run 40 kHz, and maybe, just maybe, one of them will be a gold coin ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W.Degenstien said:

Sorry for a basic question but what is the 'gain'?

It's the sensitivity, I interchange sensitivity with gain, although technically they could be different, but only for the sake of less typing I use gain ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

It was odd, never been blown out like that before.  5 kHz always seems to most susceptible, but for 15 kHz and 20 kHz to be blown out too was a new experience.

Apparently there was serious broadband interference.  I have no idea what that would be but it kinda sounds like jamming.  Any military base nearby?

I've had a similar problem at a beach I like, making my Equinox almost unusable. It was a cellular phone tower. It got better as I moved further down the beach away from it. Another thing you may want to try is putting your phone in airplane mode and see if that helps.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Apparently there was serious broadband interference.  I have no idea what that would be but it kinda sounds like jamming.  Any military base nearby?

No nothing like that.  I'll take my Multi Kruzer and Equinox with me there next time and see how they respond.  I was sure I was going to be digging 10" deep silver and copper again, but it wasn't to be.

7 hours ago, NAGANT said:

I had the same problem after updating along with jumpy ID's and audio. Went back to original 1.5 and the words right again.

I might just toss my laptop in the car next time there, wouldn't be that big of deal to down rev back to 1.5 and see if there's any difference.

• Like 3