Settings Or Specimen?

I, my wife and a friend went nugget hunting for a couple of days last week before the snow starts falling in the high rockies. I and my wife were using our gold detectors and my friend decided to try his Equinox 800 with the 11" coil. I found this small crystalline specimen with my gold detector which weighs 1.543 grains and is 1.48cm x .499cm x .058cm in size. We set the specimen on the ground and my friend tried with his Equinox both gold modes with the sensitivity set to max and could not get a response. We then tried the all metal mode and got a clear response. My question is what settings or setup would you recommend for the gold modes or other modes to get a clear solid response?  Or is the gold specimen not detectable because of the type of gold using the gold modes on the Equinox? The ground is somewhat mild with random hot rocks. Thanks for any input!

942216056_2(3456x2304).thumb.jpg.a925d1e2318db374dca26b4276cfe0a6.jpg1541451258_1(3583x2559).thumb.jpg.d78ca88114e2806be628f51f8e2b8722.jpg

• Like 7

Considering it is a decent size piece next to that coin it is surprising gold mode won’t pick it up. 

Perhaps try a factory reset and try again with the default settings?  

And yes, that is a super nice piece of gold  ?

• Like 1

Why do you say specimen?  It looks like a bunch of fused together small nuggets without any quartz.  I think you should check your scale.  I'd say you were in grams mode and not grains.

Mitchel

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Why do you say specimen?  It looks like a bunch of fused together small nuggets without any quartz.  I think you should check your scale.  I'd say you were in grams mode and not grains.

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel,

This type of gold is associated with shale and limonite. It comes in leaf and wire forms. I call it a specimen because it has octahedral crystrals and hasn't travel far from it's source, instead of a placer nugget that's pounded and rounded. The size of the specimen (1.48cm x .499cm x .058cm) puts those fused together small nuggets at about the size of a pin head or smaller. I took the photo with a macro lens. Here is the specimen on a scale showing at .1 gram, I converted it to grains in my post.(1.54324 grains I didn't put all the decimals in. :smile:)

2099995794_100_3374(4288x3216).thumb.jpg.072f58a50cfadbb034a97743e510f72d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kiwijw said:

That IS an unusual but amazing piece of gold. Like a whole lot of small bits all fused together. It isn't that small so I am very surprised either gold mode did not sing out on it. All Metal Mode, I assume the detector was still in one of the prospect modes. Shouldn't have made too much difference as all all metal mode is going to do is sing out on every bit of ferrous as well as non ferrous. It does give a bit better depth & sensitivity but that gold isn't that small.

My 11" gave me good signals on these individual small/tiny bits.....and they are SMALL.

Hi JW,

This type of gold which comes in leaf and wire forms is almost invisible 90% of the time to a PI detector which is why I asked for recommendations on settings on the Equinox 800. I'm trying to figure out if it's the type of gold the Equinox has a hard time responding to or the stock coil is to big or the need to go to the 6" coil as Steve H. suggested.

Thanks for your input!

That's a pretty awesome little piece of gold! 

• Thanks 1