My Expanded Case For 3 Tones

ColonelDan

I previously posted a similar thread on this forum but thought I'd expand on and share my reasoning for using 3 tones.  I've now used this exclusively/extensively and like it more every day.

Over the years, I've tried numerous ways through a combination of VDI and tones to better identify targets that were under my coil. It didn't take long for me to discover that trying to cut the tone and VDI distinction too fine in an attempt to accurately identify targets was unproductive. Through some trial and error, the obvious finally became clear.

VDI is not an exact science by any stretch. Target ID can be affected by numerous variables such as depth, soil composition, the metallurgical make up and orientation of the targets in the soil. Expecting a consistently exact value for each possible target was unrealistic. I finally concluded that what I wanted was only an indication of what might be under my coil rather than expecting or trying for a precise ID. Can VDI and Tones do that for me? Yes

After realizing what I wanted or needed from of a tone/VDI combination, I settled on a 3 tone option. Below are a few bullet points that summarize my case or reasoning for adopting that 3 tone solution.

~ My attempt at using 50 tones proved impossible for me...information overload! I then tried 5 tones and although much more understandable than 50, I felt that 5 tones was really unnecessary and might even be overkill. Why?

~ ALL targets fall within 3 categories/zones of conductivity of Low, Medium or High so it made more sense for me to focus on those 3 zones and then align the tones accordingly. The tones provided information on what zone I was dealing with while the VDI gave me some rough indication as to where that target fell within the range of that zone.

~ I also wanted a system that wasn't apt to cause me to ignore good targets because they were similar in make up to worthless targets. Example; gold and aluminum are both mid level conductors and generate similar VDI within that range, I therefore didn't want to exclude anything within the Mid or High level conductivity scale. Yes, I'll dig aluminum so as not to pass up potential gold and dig other high conductive targets so as not to pass up silver.

~ I tested quite a number common targets of varying size and metallurgical composition and came up with some common VDI ranges that I see on our beaches for each of the conductivity zones. I then modified the 5 tone option to 3 tones which suited me just fine for the beach hunting I do.

My results:

Conductivity        VDI Range      Tone

Low                           -9 to 0               1

Medium                    1 to 19             12

High                            20+                   25

~ In my work with a local museum however, the 2 tone option could also be used. When digging museum quality artifacts, iron is a valued metal so I dig everything. I also dig it all when I detect along Florida's Treasure Coast as remnants of the ships fall within the iron or low conductive range and are often times found along our beaches.

Just the view from my foxhole...your view may vary.

• Like 5

I agree with your view from the foxhole lol.

The only slight tweak I might make is to lower the tone break for med/high from 19/20 to 18/19. This would just keep small silver coins (half dime etc.) and all the pennies in the high tone. Gives a bit more of a buffer for a sloppy swing etc.

Oddly enough IMO the 50 tones inst enough tones if you want to run a "vocal" mode where all the conductors are smeared together like the Deus. 50 tones is a step in the right direction though. (Consider that a lot of users don't get audio overload with Deus 99 tones)

By having a "seamless" transition between TID numbers, the amount of "tones" or conductive ranges becomes subjective. Example to me a Deus with 99 tones has 4 ranges. Iron, medium low, medium high and high conductivity. Basically 3 nonferrous bins and a iron bin.

So even though the Deus has 99 or the Equinox has 50, I can kinda only tell these 4 ranges when out in the wild. (Iron, low mid conductor, high mid conductor, high conductor. Sure you or I can hear the difference between a 22 and a 24 TID when they are side by side, but can I remember the tone out of 50 or 99 from yesterday, or last week? Also the 99 Deus tones and to a lesser degree Equinox 50 tones allows you to feel the shape of the target better then just a "boop" sound. Garbage is more variable when you walk around it, but good targets are tight.

Its like you say when I stopped hunting specific numbers my success improved quite a bit and I became more consistent hunter.

Looking back at what I just typed, I might consider doing a 4 tone option, put a tone break at around 10 to have that distinction between big and small aluminum, foil vs tab etc.

• Like 5

Good Comments CD.  I am interested to give the 3 tone a try...

or maybe a 5 bin/3 tone hybrid:

Conductivity        VDI Range      Tone

Low                           -9 to 0               1

Small Gold               1 to 11             12

Nickel                      12 to 13            25

Large Gold              14 to 19            12  (or maybe moving the high range to 17 per Alluminati's comment)

High                            20+                 25  (and making this 18+ per comment above)

The one reason I have been doing most of my hunting in 50 tone is a personal preference to my own ear.  I don't care for the sound the 5 tone makes when a target bounces across tone breaks... I prefer the blended sound of the 50 tone... but I'm always willing to try new things :).  Thanks for the suggestions through your thread. 

HH

Tim.

• Thanks 1

It's always a matter of personal preference.

The less tones you use, the more audible target information gets lost - meaning, you can't identify some iffy signals by ear, you'll always have to use the display, to see if the ID is stable for example. For me that's not practical when hunting at night. 20+ signals in Park1 10kHz on my beaches may be coins (lower 20s), but also can be bottletops (jumpy 25-30s).

Long story short:

I always advise people to learn their targets, decide how they want to separate them and set their machine accordingly.

Nothing against your settings, ColonelDan - just a general observation / advice. I sadly often see people on youtube / forums using some doubious settings from other people without knowing or thinking, what they actually cause in their detecting environment.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Sinclair said:

It's always a matter of personal preference.

The less tones you use, the more audible target information gets lost - meaning, you can't identify some iffy signals by ear, you'll always have to use the display, to see if the ID is stable for example. For me that's not practical when hunting at night. 20+ signals in Park1 10kHz on my beaches may be coins (lower 20s), but also can be bottletops (jumpy 25-30s).

Long story short:

I always advise people to learn their targets, decide how they want to separate them and set their machine accordingly.

Nothing against your settings, ColonelDan - just a general observation / advice. I sadly often see people on youtube / forums using some doubious settings from other people without knowing or thinking, what they actually cause in their detecting environment.

Sinclair,  I totally agree.  Settings should be personalized and adapted specifically for the environment in which you hunt.  My settings for central Florida beaches would not work as well in New England.  For that reason, I always say that this works for me and this is "Just the view from my foxhole."  If 3 tones works for others and they prefer it, so be it.  If they prefer 5 or 50 tones, so be it. 

One size doesn't fit all in this hobby! 

Soldier on...

• Like 2

ACK, my post wasn't meant as any kind of offense - just a general reminder thingy :ph34r:

On 10/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, Sinclair said:

ACK, my post wasn't meant as any kind of offense - just a general reminder thingy :ph34r:

Certainly no offense taken whatsoever.  ?

Is someone willing to give a step by step on how to do 3-tone? Thanks, it sounds interesting.

50 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Is someone willing to give a step by step on how to do 3-tone? Thanks, it sounds interesting.

Yes,  Steve said he wanted to post such a step by step on it.  I’m sure you’ll see it soon.