Simple 14.8v Battery Pack For TDI Beach Hunter

Tony

I read somewhere that increasing the voltage on the TDI SL would allow equal performance with the regular TDI.

Hello Mark,

I have done "in ground" tests with the TDIBH and my results show a 15% performance jump when comparing the stock battery pack to the 14.4V (Nominal but comes off the charger at about 16.8V) pack. The pack I use is a 3.35Ah and I get a comfortable 7-8 hours before needing to recharge (the inbuilt BMS will automatically shutdown the detector if the voltage gets too low). When water hunting in 5 to 6 feet of water, I really struggle to dig the deep targets over 15" even with 30 pounds of lead !

Tony

• Like 3

On 10/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, pjrough said:

here you have the *.stl file for 3d printing the battery adapter with contact leads. (like in the picture below)

the part is designed for 8mm 0.1 thickness nickel strips.

download here

???

whites_TDIBH_battery.zip

This is good for a 3 cell setup but not 4 cells......need the extra 3.7v cell.

16 hours ago, Tony said:

M8 the end ya added inside the housing to connect to the battery is there a part number also ...sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure i get everything i need  as im in canada  takes a while to get here..

cheers m8 and thank you

All of the part details and assembly is at the beginning of this thread.

The brass terminals are from the electrical section of most hardware stores and the wire and 2.1mm DC "Barrel" connector from electronic stores.

I am in Australia but the parts needed should be readily available just about anywhere.

Very simple build and soldering.

Tony

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

All of the part details and assembly is at the beginning of this thread.

The brass terminals are from the electrical section of most hardware stores and the wire and 2.1mm DC "Barrel" connector from electronic stores.

I am in Australia but the parts needed should be readily available just about anywhere.

Very simple build and soldering.

Tony

the prob im having is getting the batteries etc shipped to canada

On 10/13/2018 at 3:17 PM, Dmnz said:

Hi all.  I thought I would post this here.  Had a few hours off work today and thought more about this 16.8v project. 

----

(Having experienced the CTX3030 LIION battery bay leaking (on that machine I only use the AA NIMH 1.2v tray when detecting in fairly deep water).  NIMH has less current in the event of a salt water leak). I have not had this machine submerged yet, so unsure if to trust the housing!

-----;

I wanted to be able to use the stock NIMH pack in the TDI BH and also the LI ION 16.8v pack for the beach when extra depth is needed!

In the end I decided to undo the previous method with the screws on the battery terminal.  I wanted a "stock" 16.8v battery tray!

Given the NIMH tray is only about 13USD on Amazon I decided to sacrifice the NIMH tray that came with the detector!

A) remove lid

B) remove all metal connectors

C) Dremel the chassis empty.  You need to take away some of the thickness of the bottom of the tray, otherwise you won't be able to get the LI ION cells into the detector.  You will need a thinner lid also!

Be careful not to damage the exterior of the tray.  

D) as this was a trial, I used some old 18650 cells, a 4s balance lead, and a deans plug.  (Final version will have. Built in balance board, and charge connector so the lid won't need to be opened for charging)

D1).  Three cells side by side.  One on a 45 degree angle.  Fits fine!

E) wired in series for 16.8v.   hot glued into original battery chassis.

The result - a LI ION pack that I can "change out"with the standard pack! 

Trial completed.  The next one will be more tidy!!

****After 3 hours of detecting, still above 14v****

20181013_194934.jpg

20181013_194939.jpg

20181013_194958.jpg

20181013_195226.jpg

20181013_194924.jpg

Good job Dale.....this is the way to go if you wish to use the standard battery trays and your DIY extra voltage packs. I like to run max power all the time (in the water and on the beach).....I got a second 16.8v pack and will swap out after 6 hours but by then I am pretty much done !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdihunter said:

the prob im having is getting the batteries etc shipped to canada

Surely you can by Lithium 18650 cells in Canada ?......correct, they can't be shipped by air from overseas.

• Like 1