Last Days For Tesoro?

KevinKing, the machine you sent in for repair still belongs to you, so you should be able to get it back, even if Tesoro files for bankruptcy.  Of course, when companies cease operating (and I don't know that Tesoro has ceased operating completely), there can be confusion and things can go into black holes, which would leave you with a claim against Tesoro--probably not what you want.  I have two Tesoro's, which have never needed repair, knock on wood.  If I did need to send one to Tesoro for repair, and it was still in this limbo mode, I might do so, but would definitely want to communicate with someone there first, to receive at least some assurances that its repair operation was still operating.

If you can't raise any response from Tesoro, you might try contacting Tesoro dealers. It's very likely some of them have been looking into the repair issue and have answers, since they are selling machines with warranties for which they could be on the hook.

I understand your frustration, but for many years Tesoro was actually considered one of the better companies for customer service.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to see if they auction off the contents of the Tesoro building.

Some interesting pre-First Texas Fisher items found their way to ebay not too long after they moved to El Paso (like a CZ DD prototype coil). 

Tesoro is on all of the advertisements to be one of the main sponsors for the Quartzite Gold Show next weekend Feb 8th -10th. We'll see........

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any updates on Tesoros status? Are the employees just on an undetermined leave of absence and everything is hunky dory there?

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I find it incredibly weird that Tesoro refuses to put out a statement on their website explaining what is going on. It’s not the Tesoro I used to know.

Very Strange to say the least.

Just got my silver umax back from tesoro yesterday. 2 months and 10 days since I sent it in. So glad they are still doing repairs albeit slowly.

I just copied this from the Tesoro Metal Detectors facebook page. That quote was posted on Feb 10th 2019.

I did try and call them but it goes to an answering machine.  I didn't leave a message.

They might be downsizing and re-organizing. If that is the case I may go ahead and snag a sand shark. I really enjoy the Tejon, just a fun machine to use. Really like the analog no frills machines and smoothness over the vdi machines out there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I find it incredibly weird that Tesoro refuses to put out a statement on their website explaining what is going on. It’s not the Tesoro I used to know.

Its not good business sense either . People wont know if they should buy one or not . And i have to say i only know one person who has one . Every time i go to my local dealer that sells them , they say they rarely sell them . 

If Tesoro / Laser is going to get sales going again they need to up date their models considerably . 

With machines like the Equinox , Deus / ORX and new models from Macro etc . Tesoro either have to update or fold. 

I started out detecting late in 2002 and the only machines i remember them bringing out were the Lobo and Wolftrax . And they are old style machines. 

Before Minelab brought out the Equinox i thought Minelab were getting ready to bite the dust Hobby wise but they seem to have woken up again , for now.

Maybe another company "Whites" should look out too , their hobby machines are old mostly except for a few cheap machines but their top end is dated i think.

I think there are too many detector companies out there and i bet there will be a few going to the wall sooner or later.

Maybe they have other business like Industry and Mine and Gold but they are not for most and certainly not in Europe.

Also the Equinox has hit sales of other companies "maybe not Garrett" and look at the secondhand market , an ET selling just before the Nox came out was likely to fetch £650 for a 2 year old mint condition one but now its sub £500 and even then they are hard to sell . And what about the CTX depreciating value from new ! They sell them with extras like the big coil and maybe a probe etc but try selling them after a year .

E.bay is awash with old FBS/FBS2 machines selling for way under their true value . I think they have become very cheap detecting these days .

I for one wont be selling my ET , it wont get a good enough price and is too good a machine to sell in its current condition for Peanuts.

• Like 2

Tesoro has a niche where they have the old school fans that don't like all the tones, fancy displays and enjoy the clean signals that you get when running these machines. Analog machine I think have better sensitivity but that comes with a learning curve or you will dig a lot of garbage. Their attempt to go to a VDI I think was a little clunky when compared to the Makro, Garrets, and others with their sleek modern designs.

They also have a problem competing on the low end against the many imports and Bounty Hunters that are sold everywhere.

I hope they are just re-organizing. For the market they have they probably don't need the staff they had and could easily update a few machines and slim down their inventory. Even a water proof Vaquero or Tejon would do pretty well for the crowd that hit fresh water areas.

I agree the way they just kicked out employees and not keeping in touch with suppliers and consumers is really poor business relations. Personally I would have done something far more public and gradual. I think the honesty and openness would be much better for business than simply hiding and leaving everyone in the dark.

• Like 4