Last Days For Tesoro?

It really comes down to them loosing or maybe just not competing in the changing world of marketing.  The companies selling tone and visual ID detectors have sold the necessity of distinguishing a penny from a dime or a nickel from a pulltab.  “Coin shooting” is great and all and the potential for a windfall coin find is out there but none of the forms of ID are of much help in distinguishing a gold ring from a pulltab or a gold chain or earring from a bit of foil.

Don’t get me wrong as I do enjoy using these more modern detectors as well but most of my detecting time is spent jewelry hunting and for that a Tesoro is hard to beat. I have confidence in them and that is the most important thing.  

In a selfish sense I am glad everyone doesn’t have a Compadre.  If they did there would be a lot less gold hiding in the playgrounds for me to find!!!

• Like 2

Analog machines have finer sensitivity and don't distinguish based on blocks. This along with the degree of skill and practice it takes does make them less popular. Personally I ignore less and find more with my Tejon because I have more confidence in the sound I hear. I can tell if it is a dime 8" down or a quarter and not a pull tab and can distinguish a nickel or gold ring from a square tab vrs looking at some numbers jumping on my AT Pro. It takes practice that most either don't have the time or commitment to put into their machine. 

I pick up quite a bit of finds in areas where I have seen others hitting with their machines, usually nickels and quarters they skip over. 

It is feasible that they can still have their share of the market but they could never compete on a grand scale in sales as the others. There still is that niche that can carve out a few salaries.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

It really comes down to them loosing or maybe just not competing in the changing world of marketing.  The companies selling tone and visual ID detectors have sold the necessity of distinguishing a penny from a dime or a nickel from a pulltab.  “Coin shooting” is great and all and the potential for a windfall coin find is out there but none of the forms of ID are of much help in distinguishing a gold ring from a pulltab or a gold chain or earring from a bit of foil.

Don’t get me wrong as I do enjoy using these more modern detectors as well but most of my detecting time is spent jewelry hunting and for that a Tesoro is hard to beat. I have confidence in them and that is the most important thing.  

In a selfish sense I am glad everyone doesn’t have a Compadre.  If they did there would be a lot less gold hiding in the playgrounds for me to find!!!

You have a very good point.  Back in the day, I had a Vaquero and a Tejon.  Both had fantastic audio capabilities.  In fact, I did find a lot more gold rings than I tend to find now.  But now, with all the high tech visual ID screens I find myself relying more on what it indicates, rather than a pure audio response and for sure I've walked right over rings thinking they might be junk.

The Compadre is another fine machine for hunting for lost gold items in playgrounds.  Partly contributed by the small coil and the unique audio.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kac said:

I pick up quite a bit of finds in areas where I have seen others hitting with their machines, usually nickels and quarters they skip over. 

I love checking out a park or school for the first time and not finding many coins.  Usually means someone has cherry picked all the coins relying on IDs and as a byproduct left the jewelry behind. 

I will make no claims of being able to dig gold without digging junk but I don’t mind digging foil and tabs in a spot that may hold gold jewelry. I will say that with the newer Mojave the audio is the best so far in regards to tone differences between a good ring vs. foil or tabs. But the majority of jewelry found is broken or misshapen and rarely gives a nice “round” tone. 

Either way, finding gold in parks is far from glamorous.  To consistently find it you’re going to dig a bunch of crap. 

• Like 4

I was at the beach the other weekend with my AT Pro and went by sound only with minimal settings for iron discrim 33. There was a another guy out there that said he uses his AT Pro there too and was shocked when I said I use zero mode. He relies on the VDI and set his machine to coin mode. 

The chatter and numbers jumping on a VLF in the black sand is exhausting BUT if you listen you can tell if there is a good target and it isn't just noise. As you pass over an actual target will keep toning in whereas noise is random. You have to listen. Big reason I like the Tejon where all is quiet even in the trashy areas. If it wasn't for my old old Bounty hunter and the Tejon I don't think I would find much at the beach with my AT Pro. Just learn to hunt a little differently.

And yes I have dug my share of tabs, was tempting to keep them when aluminum prices were high :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Tesoro is still doing repairs. Maybe just restructuring the company. If that is the case and I can confirm then I will snag a Sand Shark for my beach combing. Hope they are still kicking.

4 hours ago, kac said:

Looks like Tesoro is still doing repairs. Maybe just restructuring the company. If that is the case and I can confirm then I will snag a Sand Shark for my beach combing. Hope they are still kicking.

That could be all their doing ? In that case if they aren't making machines ? as soon as the last machine is sold in the shops they may carry on repairing for the time til the end of the last warranty ? 

With Tesoro being so quiet how can anyone know ? 

Warranty states Iifetime of the company. Unless there are some state level regulations forcing them to support the machines for XXX years after company closing then maybe that is what they are doing. If that is the case I believe some states require 5 years after last product sale. 

My hunch and maybe I'm being hopeful, is they are quiet because they haven't tossed in the towel yet.

I was poking around online and it seems that nobody actually has a new compadre for sale???  Have looked on every dealers website I coukd find and not a one!!!  

Also it seems the website is down???!  I’m currently outside the US so it may be a server thing???  I’ll have ti check tomorrow but the end may indeed be nigh?