Chinavasion Metal Detector

Gold Hound:

Thanks so much. I am not experienced in mining and I would not call myself a complete novice either. I have already in my list of equipment a Sluice box with the complete accessories, 2pans and 1 smelter. I want to add 2 detectors basically because my friend and I want to take advantage of the new task to develop an hubby of searching for the nuggets in the same area. I have made a professional geologist here give the best coordinates after which we processed about a ton with a less capacity sluice to what I bought now and we got 13gram of gold in 2010. I also had a friend do his indepedent trial mining at same place and he came up with 100g in 2014. This site is still unexplore because nobody is working on it. I don't know if this is the sampling that you refer to? If it is not, please kindly give me your own idea of the sampling that you mean. I sincerely want to learn because I want to succeed in this endevour. I must confess that it took this long because I don't want to rush into it so that I won't fail. Even now, I am prepared to take my time as much as I need to so that I can put things right.

I might have used Steve Herschbach's eyes to pick the detectors, I am very much aware that I need my own hands and heart to find the gold. This I intend to do by doing more research/study and most importantly listening to the experts and more experienced people in the industry. I strongly believe that to study is good but a teaching from a very great teacher is far more than many studies.

You guys are really impressive and I know that a day will come that I will write the story of this venture. I am certain that you all, particularly Steve will be mentioned in my book.

I am glad that I joined this group. From my calculation, we should commence operation in mid or end of April because of the paper work.

Peteren:

Thanks. The first detector brand name that I got to know in 2009 and which I enquired from both in their Canada and Pretoria North, South Africa offices is Minelab. I had their products shown to me in their office here. I am not considering minelab now because of the cost of the type that I would have loved to get in their range of detectors. I am at this stage also careful of putting too much in the cost of production while I can get less cost with other machine brands with same functionalities. I appreciate your calling my attention to minelab but I still would stick to the Nokta Fors Gold and Fisher gold bug pro detectors.

Gday Kenny

The sampling you have done is ok for a start but I would not base my production estimates off it, or make any significant investment on ground that I have not proven worthy of investment.

If you have a lease over the area you need to take pit samples in a grid over the whole estimated area of the deposit and work out your m3 and how much gold per m3.

Then you need to look at your water situation and the production size ( meter cubed per hour) and the type of material you are processing and the values that you want to trap, then you can design your plant to suit the material, values and production size.

None of this is easy, you really need to do a lot of reaserch on every aspect that I have mentioned above as sampling techniques alone is a whole book and is far to comlicated to tell you about in detail on a forum.

I doo all of this stuff for a living and have seen many miners that skimped on any of the above go bust very quickly.

Research research research!

I'm happy to answer specific question's on any of the above but I dont have the time to explain the whole shebang in detail as it would take a whole text book to do it properly.

• Like 1

Peteren:

Thanks. The first detector brand name that I got to know in 2009 and which I enquired from both in their Canada and Pretoria North, South Africa offices is Minelab. I had their products shown to me in their office here. I am not considering minelab now because of the cost of the type that I would have loved to get in their range of detectors. I am at this stage also careful of putting too much in the cost of production while I can get less cost with other machine brands with same functionalities. I appreciate your calling my attention to minelab but I still would stick to the Nokta Fors Gold and Fisher gold bug pro detectors.

Mate if you are serious about finding gold with a detector any of the gpx range is defiantly worth their weight in gold!

Money well spent!

Gold Hound:

Your contribution is invaluable to me. Thanks. I didn't do the sampling using the cubic meter procedure. But to build the sluice, I brought about 200kg of the soil sample to the manufacturer of the sluice box. In terms of the water situation, there is a stream close to site, I have been advised to also build a pool-like structure with a taumpoline material for ease of water supply for the sluice.

I agree with you that I still have to do so much. I have decided to commence against all odds because I realized that each time I look at the enormous task that need to be done I always defer them but now is the time to start doing something no matter how little. My estimate at the moment is that in 3-6months, I would recoup the investment that I have put in so far. Yes, the minelab gpx range are pretty good but I am very careful on how much I invest so as to reduce the cost of production. I definitely would consider a better detector with time.

Gold Hound:

Your contribution is invaluable to me. Thanks. I didn't do the sampling using the cubic meter procedure. But to build the sluice, I brought about 200kg of the soil sample to the manufacturer of the sluice box. In terms of the water situation, there is a stream close to site, I have been advised to also build a pool-like structure with a taumpoline material for ease of water supply for the sluice.

I agree with you that I still have to do so much. I have decided to commence against all odds because I realized that each time I look at the enormous task that need to be done I always defer them but now is the time to start doing something no matter how little. My estimate at the moment is that in 3-6months, I would recoup the investment that I have put in so far. Yes, the minelab gpx range are pretty good but I am very careful on how much I invest so as to reduce the cost of production. I definitely would consider a better detector with time.

What is your approximate m3ph.

I usually advise to put in a bore if the local water supply is inadequate.

A pond like your talking about will ether run out, or silt up very quickly if you recycle the water.

You will almost certainly need some device in your process to break up and classify your material before going into your concentrating device or sluice.

The detector is my main tool that I use to make my living but I would not advise you to go that rout as you have a lease and gear.

If i was in your position I would concentrate on getting the site running and would only purchase an old pi like a gp3500 to go over the tailings oversize.

Gold Hound;

Itsapproximately 5ton per hour. I have a pump that is 32,000 per liter and the sluice is estimated to need about 20,000liter of water per hour which I think the artificial dam or pool structure would cater for. The site is actually alluvial though not without some small rocks which is why the sluice manufacturer designed the box in such a way that it allows the alluvial concentrate alone go into the sluice. As for the water, like you said a bore-hole will be a better option to the pond-like structure but again I am also concern of the cost. I wish to develop the hobby of using the detector locate nugget and also make some earning from that exercise like you but my main aim is to see the small scale mining kick start and I will also be glad to create jobs for the locals there which is one of the reasons that we are been allowed to have the lease.

A company by the name of Depar has the distribution rights to sell Fisher metal detector products in Africa. You can do a Google search and find them and they can tell you about distributors they have in South Africa. The home offices for Depar are in Dubai and Istanbul. There used to be some very severe legal restrictions on gold prospecting in South Africa and I have no idea what the current state of the law is there. It may still be the same.

Gold Hound:

My budget on metal detector is not to be more than $1,500: I need two; one for me and the other for my partner. The minelab gp3500 was around $3,900 when I checked.