Chinavasion Metal Detector

Reno Chris:

Thanks. I have sorted my purchase of the detector. I am going to buy it online to be shipped to a friend of mine in Chicago. He knows how to send it to me. There is still a very strict legal restriction on gold prospecting in South Africa and the violator risk being jailed for more than 20years. I am prospecting in a town in the South Western State

• Like 1

I'd say get two Fors Golds or Two Gold Bug Pros or the standard for that matter. Detect out some good gold while your grid sampling your prospect and then when you hit some gold with the detectors reinvest the money in a minelab. Seems by then with your location of detectable gold along with your knowledge from the sampling you'd have the best spot to start processing on a major scale. I've found that the time spent sampling is invaluable to making sure that your putting all your hard work into the best available location.

Much luck to ya

Adam Robinson 

• Like 1

Gold Hound:

My budget on metal detector is not to be more than $1,500: I need two; one for me and the other for my partner. The minelab gp3500 was around $3,900 when I checked.

You can pick up a used gp 3500 for about 2k i think you'll find that most ground in africa is mineralized and VLF's do not handle that soil very well.

On a couple of site's I consulted on the larger previous mining company had done some drill sampling, so we used a couple of the sample holes as bore holes as they extended way below the water table and were sleeved.

This idea of mine saved big dollars on drilling costs and they only had the pump and plumbing costs.

So keep your eyes out for them or look at the records of the prevoius company for their locations.

5m3ph is that a hand feed operation as that is very small?

Adam Robinson:

Thanks. I decided on Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Nokta Fors Gold because I want to have the opportunity of variety. Thinking that where Gold bug pro is weak, the Fors gold maybe be strong. More so, I will have the opportunity to access the functionality of two brands and use that to determine future detectors that will be most ideal.

Last week Friday, I took a training on how to grid sample though doing so without any specialize device but using my detectors. In fact, I was advised to dedicate the first 2-3 weeks to grid sampling. Your message makes me to accept more that the importnace of grid sampling can not be over emphasized. Seems most people on this group are very vast and experienced!

• Like 1

Gold Hound:

5m3/h is small. Our focus is to start small and grow from there. In 2009, I was looking at something big and this actually did not allow me to make any meaningful move because I always see my intended moves then as too meagre for the vision that I have on the project. In Dec 2014, I decided to start small and then grow big from that. After that decision, I have seen myself take very meaningful steps which led to my procuring the things that I will need in bits.

Yes, the soil analysis that I carried out on the site indicated that it is highly mineralized. What I read on both Gold bug pro and Nokta Fors gold say they are good on mineralized soil. That's why I decided on having them. Do you mean they may not be able to handle mineralized soil? Please expantiate on this for me.

Thanks for your drilling sampling holes that could be turned into the bore-hole idea. I believe its going to be more practical compared to my initial plan of an artificial dam or pond structure with a taumpoline material. In fact, using the drill sample hole as the bore hole will be most economical for me because I already have a 35,000liter/hour pump which will be useful and the plumbing need won't be that expensive.

Gold Hound:

5m3/h is small. Our focus is to start small and grow from there. In 2009, I was looking at something big and this actually did not allow me to make any meaningful move because I always see my intended moves then as too meagre for the vision that I have on the project. In Dec 2014, I decided to start small and then grow big from that. After that decision, I have seen myself take very meaningful steps which led to my procuring the things that I will need in bits.

Yes, the soil analysis that I carried out on the site indicated that it is highly mineralized. What I read on both Gold bug pro and Nokta Fors gold say they are good on mineralized soil. That's why I decided on having them. Do you mean they may not be able to handle mineralized soil? Please expantiate on this for me.

Thanks for your drilling sampling holes that could be turned into the bore-hole idea. I believe its going to be more practical compared to my initial plan of an artificial dam or pond structure with a taumpoline material. In fact, using the drill sample hole as the bore hole will be most economical for me because I already have a 35,000liter/hour pump which will be useful and the plumbing need won't be that expensive.

The gold bug (i own one) and the fors gold are good as far as VLFs go but they still struggle in med to high mineralized soil that is the most common soil type in Australian and African gold fields.

They perform well in the USA because their geoligy is younger and they have low mineralization compared to us.

A pi is much better in our soil, the VLFs are un usable in alot of our soil, usually the best gold baring soil!

I would buy 1 used pi over the VLFs any day.

Your pump will likley not be the right pump for a bore, generally you need a submersible pump for a bore as normal pumps like say a centrifugal pump commonly used in mining cannot suck or vacuum water any more than a few meters.

Africa is not Australia and the vast majority of it is nowhere near as mineralized as Australia. Chris Ralph has made two trips to Africa and observed thousands of prospectors in the field using detectors. Almost none of them were Minelab PI detectors. Nearly all were VLF detectors, which run very well in most conditions there. There were many types in evidence but two extremely popular and well proven machines for the African gold fields have been the Teknetics T2 and Fisher Gold Bug Pro.

Any good VLF would work. I agree with Featheredfishead (Adam), get two of the same to share coils and other parts and learn one unit. The simple choice is the Gold Bug Pro, as there are many already in Africa. Parts should be common by comparison to most detectors. It will also make it easy to sell the machines and upgrade to a PI if your budget allows and if the need arises. Africa is a huge continent and there is no doubt many areas exist where a PI is the best choice.