First Silver With Equinox

57buick

Finally found my first silver with the NOX 800 it was a 1942 S quarter about 6 or 7 inches. What I think is weird is it rang up as a 27 or 28 which is lower than a clad quarter rings. A clad usually is a solid 29 or 30. Why would that be? Why wouldn't silver ring higher than clad?

This is exactly what has perplexed me using the NOX over my Deus for example. I don't understand discrimination on this thing.

I was using park 1 since everywhere in town here is so full of trash. But I didnt get any other signals in this spot after I dug it up and refilled the hole

• Like 5

My foggy memory seem to remember that some "S" quarters at that time were hollow and used to smuggle microfilm. Edit: Nothing on Google, I guess I was wrong. Damn.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your Silver Quarter..They are getting hard to come by.

Many things can affect the IDs.  Depth, other near by targets, coins on edge, ground mineralization and the condition of the coin itself..  

Bryan

• Like 2

Good timing on your post. 

I just came back from a 2 hour after work hunt. I also hit a 28 signal on a clad quarter. I thought it was different too. I'm used digging em up at 29-30.

Congrats on the silver GW !!!!

Howdy 57,

My quarter pinged at 31.  Nice find there budski.  Congrats.  I love the American coinage, its just so nicely detailed and i love the eagle.

Andy.

16 hours ago, 57buick said:

Finally found my first silver with the NOX 800 it was a 1942 S quarter about 6 or 7 inches. What I think is weird is it rang up as a 27 or 28 which is lower than a clad quarter rings. A clad usually is a solid 29 or 30. Why would that be? Why wouldn't silver ring higher than clad?

This is exactly what has perplexed me using the NOX over my Deus for example. I don't understand discrimination on this thing.

I was using park 1 since everywhere in town here is so full of trash. But I didnt get any other signals in this spot after I dug it up and refilled the hole

My guess is that it "sounded" good.  I have found I can derive much more information from the sound of a target than the id.  ~Tim

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, 57buick said:

Thats my point though. Why does silver not even ring a high number on the NOX? Whats the point of the NOX if it doesnt discriminate at all it seems like. Its just iron or not iron

Congrats on your first silver with the Equinox but...I am surprised that your big take away from what should be a positive experience is that the Equinox does not discriminate.  Huh?

28 is pretty much in the high conductor range so why quibble over a few digits.  I would dig that all day long.  Are you saying that because it rang up at 28 instead of 30 you wouldn't dig it or that it sounded like borderline iron?  As others have pointed out there are a myriad of of factors that can contribute to slight variations in VDI for a given target including soil moisture, mineralization, nearby targets, and target orientation, target corrosion.

I really having trouble understanding how you jump from a slightly low VDI on a high conductor to the Equinox "doesn't discriminate at all".  If you mean the VDI range is narrow, well that's true, but that helps with stability.  Coming from Deus that is welcome as the VDI numbers on Deus are far less stable so I actually prefer Equinox in this regard.  But even with the narrow VDI range, I can certainly tell the difference between small gold (single digits), pull tabs (teens), nickels at around 13, brass relics in the mid teens, minie balls in the high teens, Zincolns around 20,  Memorials around 22, Dimes around the mid 20's, Quarters high 20's to low 30's, Large Silver low to mid 30's.  Not even close to your "iron or not iron" assertion. 

And I personally don't really make my dig/no dig decisions based solely on VDI numbers because they actually tell you much less than audio can about the nature of the target, especially at 50 tones.  Some might argue that 50 tones tells you no more than 50 VDI numbers, and that is far from the truth.  A digital VDI display as implemented on the Equinox can basically just flash up a number.  You might be able to glean additional info from fluctuations, but that is about all you get.  The audio on the other hand gives you more than just a tone corresponding to the VDI, it also has other attributes that give you clues as to the nature of the target such as steep or shallow rise times, tone duration, "solidness" of the tone, tone distortion all help paint a more detailed picture of the target in your brain. A nickel, gold ring, bent beavertail, and crown cap that all ring up around 13 will each sound different even as they give off the same base tone.  Also, I have found that with both the Equinox and Deus you can get an accurate whisper tone on a weak signal target that will only show double bars on the display.  Anyway, my point is that despite the "narrow" vdi range of the Equinox, the audio really opens up the door on target ID.

Getting hung up on VDI numbers or tripping over the fact that they are subject to some slight variations will tend to keep you from unlocking some of capabilities of the Equinox especially regarding the benefits of tone ID.  As a fellow Deus user, I found that I was able to pick up on the Equinox audio nuances pretty quickly.  

I thought this issue sounded familiar and I see I gave you similar info back in July when you thought Equinox was basically a dig it all machine.  Seems your opinion regarding Equinox has not changed much after three months, so perhaps Equinox is not catching on for you and may just not be your cup of tea.  Nothing wrong with that.  If you still have your Deus, as I do, that is a great detector to fall back on.  And hopefully though my thoughts may be of little use or consolation for you the second time around, perhaps others can get some useful information from the discussion.  Good luck and HH.

• Like 4

To add what Chase Goldman says,  If you used the Deus in 4kHz with ID norm off you may notice the silver coins will drop in TID a bit as well.

Deus numbers are nothing for accuracy compared to a Minelab, even the old ones.  Deus's favorite number is "-- --" unless it's medium/shallow in depth.

IMO it's good that silver quarters are 28-30 out of 40, because that is farther away from the iron wrap-around that machines would typically have at at the high end, like the Deus.

• Like 2