Sept Finds With The 800

Tometusns

Whoooooah !!!! That is one hell of a month !!!!

Congrats !!!!!

• Thanks 1

That is an impressive month Tom... Well done you! ~Tim

• Thanks 1

I can see you've been busy.  Well done!  And thanks for posting your settings.

What are the three coins(?) on the right of the 2nd to last row?  Also, what are the eight coins(?) above the three Buffalo nickels?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can see you've been busy.  Well done!  And thanks for posting your settings.

What are the three coins(?) on the right of the 2nd to last row?  Also, what are the eight coins(?) above the three Buffalo nickels?

The 8 coins are missouri tax tokens. The 3 are 2v- nickels (83&84)and an 1895 Indian penny. All found in the same hole stacked on top of each other. They came out one at a time but you could tell they were on top of each other. It was kinda cool I thought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

The 8 coins are missouri tax tokens. The 3 are 2v- nickels (83&84)and an 1895 Indian penny. All found in the same hole stacked on top of each other. They came out one at a time but you could tell they were on top of each other. It was kinda cool I thought. 

Wow, that is awesome!  You have some nice old ground you are hunting to be able to pull a multi-1800's coin spill.  A little jealous here!!  haha.  I get excited pulling a few mid-60's copper pennies out of a hole.  ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tometusns said:

The 3 are 2v- nickels (83&84)and an 1895 Indian penny.

Good stuff.  1883 was the first year of the Liberty = V- nickel, and there were two varieties.  Originally the word 'Cents' was not at the bottom of the reverse and clever/larcenous alterers were coating them in gold and passing them off as $5 gold pieces. Interestingly, the "no cents" version was 1/3 as common (in terms of mintage) as the "with cents" version and yet it is less valuable.  This is an interesting but common occurrence in coinage -- when a newly designed coin is first minted, everyone (well, not quite) wants to save one as a 'collectors item', which is the curse as far as value.  When everyone saves one, none of them is worth squat.  When no one saves them, just the opposite.  (Another example are the 1976 bicentennials, which were glommed onto and are one of the most common coins in high grade -- and worth no more than face value.  And it's not just coins that suffer this fate.  However there are exceptions such as the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter and the 1916-D Mercury dime.  Don't throw those in your bullion silver pile!!)

If your two V-nickels had just waited a couple years you'd really have some rarities.  The 1885 and 1886 are the keys to the series (if you ignore the infamous 1913, five of which were minted for friends of the mint director, now worth over $1 million each).  After the 1884/85's, the 1912-S is next in rarity/value so you western US coin hunters should keep your eyes open for that one.

• Like 1

Awesome relics and nice silvers.  I love my EQ?

• Thanks 1