Pyrite is paramagnetic so I suppose you could have hit on it, although that rock is a metamorphic conglomerate so it could be the detector is responding to something the rock as a whole?

Its actually not a bad indicator mineral.

It could also be Pyrrhotite, that might be slightly more reactive to a metal detector.

What kind of detector are you swinging and what is the general description of the geology without giving away your location?

You want to find some bits of gold bearing quartz from within or around that schist, if you are searching near an old hard rock mine or area that historically had gold.

2 hours ago, Alluminati said:

Granite is a metaconglomerate, could that not be associated with gold bearing quartz?

Granite is not a metaconglomerate. Rather, it is an intrusive (plutonic) igneous rock normally comprised of quartz, orthoclase feldspar and another dark material, for example biotite (black) mica............ Jim.

• Like 1

Spot on, Jim, and rarely do auriferous quartz reefs or leaders occur in granite, although gold can be found on a granite bottom due to the weathering of folded sedimentaries  which once may have occurred above the pluton, or an ancient water course carrying gold from nearby country.

• Like 2

Greenstone belts found in granite and gneiss have gold, which is why in my limited experience this rock could potentially be an indicator. Although jadawg hasn't given much else to go on as to the local geology coupled with statistics of rocks without gold, then yes I agree it's probably just a rock lol.

Thanks guys for all the replies, i found this rock among many others that look just like it in an old riverbed in northern California. I have a gold bug 2 metal detector, and no i haven't done the sniff and smell test lol.