Some of the richest big gold areas have been discovered on the fringe of granite batholiths, in the metamorphic created by the action of plutons, which it appears drove out the superheated fluids through the fissures and points of least resistance in the folded sedimentary rock. Granite may be an indication only in the fact that it was once a source of heat and pressure, and it is in the contact zones that the presence of gold is more likely. Granite is not an 'indicator'. Indicators are a different 'ball game' altogether, and are mysterious and little understood.

• Like 4

A piece of granite with a chunk of quartz hanging of the side of it is an indicator if you are in an area of an old hard rock mine. IMO That is what they look for here. Lode.

I said potentially to be an indicator, because it could be tailing with a chunk of quartz on it right?  There is more then just placer gold out there and we don't know the composition of the rock just by looking at it, just saying.

I used to get in arguments all the time about the diamonds we have in Canada, because Canada doesn't have diamonds. ?

In the spirit of prospecting with a detector, maybe you can give jadawg some suggestions and tips on what to look for.

Alluminati, I feel you are confusing Indicator with indications. Do some research on the Ballarat gold fields where Indicators were associated with large masses of reef gold. As far as advice is concerned I would suggest jadawg as a novice would be better off looking for areas of Pliocene or decomposed conglomerate. Placer as you call it over there is a better area to begin rather than things beyond his grasp as a beginner.

• Like 2

I hear ya, just that a lot of areas are completely stripped of placer so I was just trying to encourage him.

My area is not a known gold area, for placer anyway, (Glaciers) but it was still fun to locate quartz and pegmatite veins within the granite around here. If I lived in an area that had a known gold mine, I would absolutely be looking closely at any schists, serpentine, gabbro, diorite, chert, feldspars, granite, greenstone etc. as the gold is hosted in these metamorphic rocks.

I understand that the indicators are in the veins themselves, but he is already in a known gold bearing area so he should be looking for host rock with quartz inclusions. In this context a hot piece of granite could definitely be an indicator. I've never hit on granite with a metal detector, but I can locate mineral rich quartz or pegmatite veins within granite with a metal detector. IMO historically a lot of hardrock mining was done with eyeballs, so there could be something here and there for a guy with a detector.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the input.

• Like 1