Asking For Advice On Gold Jewelry Target Numbers

Andy2640

Hi you lot, hope your all well,

I'm about to go and hit a local park. Ive found loads of silver coins (1880-1940's), but i now sense that ive pretty much hoovered them all up (Silver).  Interesting thing is, there are loads of targets around the 10-19 VDI. 

I'm ideally trying to target a gold coin and  gold rings.   I know silver gives a lovely tell-tale indicator, for example a 24-25-26 which 99% of the time is... silver.

So what does gold do on the VDI?  Any skips on the VDI like silver?   Im going to be using the depth indicator for potential gold coins, my thinking is that the deeper it is, the more the chance of it being old and not surface rubbish.  But the gold rings could be any depth, hence why i ask if there's any tell-tale signs of the yellow stuff.  Any other hints and tips would be mega appreciated.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

Now this is just from my testing and experience on our Florida beaches...your mileage may vary as I always say.

Gold, being  a mid level conductor, I've found ranges anywhere from 1 -18/19 on the Equinox.  Small chains have been detected at 1,2,and 3 while larger gold objects range higher depending on the K.  Of course the soil composition also impacts the VDI.  Having said all that, aluminum also rings up in the 1-19 range so you'll be digging junk too but that's the price we pay if we want to focus in on gold.

Just the view from my foxhole...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Just the view from my foxhole"...  Your view is a good one from that fox hole....and appreciated.  Does the gold you found vary on the VDI, As in skip from say a 12 to 14?  

Cheers.

Thanks to Mark for this video. Just found it now.  Top notch.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, Andy2640 said:

"Just the view from my foxhole"...  Your view is a good one from that fox hole....and appreciated.  Does the gold you found vary on the VDI, As in skip from say a 12 to 14?  

Yes, depending on soil/sand composition, depth and orientation of the target.

I personally dig everything in that range.  Do I dig a lot of aluminum?  Yes, but I’d rather do that than pass up gold in an attempt to second guess myself.  

Now if the tone and VDI jump around erratically, I can bet it’s a bottle cap. But that’s just my experience along our beaches where I do 99% of my detecting.

Good luck...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention...not only does gold show up anywhere along the 1-19 scale, I have seen times where it also rang up higher...in the low 20's for example so I dig a lot as you can imagine.  It all depends on metallurgical composition, soil conditions, depth etc.   So if you're looking for gold, be prepared to dig for it. ?

• Thanks 1

Hi Andy

Somewhere on this blog (NOX FAN CLUB)  was a topic which had a link to a clip of someone testing many, many types of gold rings. They recorded their weights, purity etc and VDI's it was pre the latest update. The VDI where in a wide range depending on weight and purity. I remember all were solid tones and VDI numbers, except a few interesting cases where the rings were split, or wrap-around not a continuous band and in those cases the VDI's moved around. (A bit like with horse-shoes! ) If I find the post again I'll provide the link.

• Like 2