Pitting In Silver Coins

Andy2640

42 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Would that make a forgery coin worth more than an original as there would be less of those than original ones? Outside of the silver content value. Interesting. Thanks Randy Dee. ?

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Yes JW some of the forgeries are worth more than the real thing but all depends on the coin condition as the copper content tends to rot away much quicker than silver or gold.   Henry 8th debased his coinage so as to gain the silver and finance his armies, Henry VIII silver coins would wear away on the coin legend high spots such as Henry's nose and as a result his nose would show through red from the copper and resulted in Henry being nick named "Old Copper Nose".

Here below is a small article from my dear friend John Winter blog.

==========================================================================

Henry VIII – Old Coppernose

By John Winter

Until Henry’s reign, English currency was made of valuable metals – gold and silver – whose face value was approximately the same as their bullion value. To pay for his wars (see below), Henry decided to mix the silver in his coins with the base metal copper.

The Henry VIII groat (4d) was minted in Bristol in 1547 was such a coin with only a small silver component. The blanched silver surface (showing through first on the high surfaces – e.g. the nose of the portrait ) soon wore away to reveal the copper alloy underneath earning Henry the nickname of Old Coppernose! The currency had been debased.

3 Henry VIII Groat copy

• Like 5

awesome coin

• Like 1

sorry I didn't see the date.

Like Randy I have found George 3rd counterfeits too but never Viccy ones. It looks as if yours could have been made from the impression from the original as Like Randy's example mine are clear as a bell where as yours looks  worn. Nice find though and collectable

• Like 3