Tiftaaft

6 Inch Coil Hunts And Results

Nice job Tim!! I really like the six inch but still use the stock a lot too. I think they compliment each other very well. 

• Thanks 1

Installment #2 to my hunts and review thread for the 6" coil. 

Back out at the pounded park today at lunch.  about 45 minutes hunt time, bookended by the V Nickel within my first few targets, and the Merc on the last target before turning off the machine.  I give the credit for both these finds to the 6" coil. 

The V Nickel was about 5" around some roots and around the 11-12 tone I received, were some other mid conductor trash (can slaw, a pop top, and some deeper iron that I left in the ground).  But in between all those competing tones, the 6" coil narrowed in on a quieter but solid nickel tone.  This is my second V and the ground is really hard on nickels in my area, but at least I can make out the date on this one.  1907.

The merc was only a few inches down, and no doubt I (and others) have been over the top of this coin many times.  It was surrounded by all kinds of iron tones... a few pieces I dug out were a few rusted nails, and a two wire fence nails, the ones that are "u" shaped to capture the fence against a wooden post.  But between all those grunting iron tones, a solid 25-26-27 tone kept ringing through.  1916 Mercury dime.  (And my 2nd Quest for Silver completed... about a week after it started :)). 

I am really learning to love this coil.

I was running the E600 with original firmware in Park 1/50 tones/sensitivity 20/recovery 2 (4 on the 800) and IB 0.  And I was making an effort to swing slower than I normally do (though this was probably faster than others... I have a bad habit of swinging too fast).  

Tim.

20181015_183051.jpg

• Like 4

Did you check the back of that Merc for a mint mark? 😎🔍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Did you check the back of that Merc for a mint mark? 😎🔍

Jack, I did... sadly, it is a no mint 1916...  not a Denver :/. 

On 10/15/2018 at 10:12 PM, Tiftaaft said:

Installment #2 to my hunts and review thread for the 6" coil. 

Back out at the pounded park today at lunch.  about 45 minutes hunt time, bookended by the V Nickel within my first few targets, and the Merc on the last target before turning off the machine.  I give the credit for both these finds to the 6" coil. 

The V Nickel was about 5" around some roots and around the 11-12 tone I received, were some other mid conductor trash (can slaw, a pop top, and some deeper iron that I left in the ground).  But in between all those competing tones, the 6" coil narrowed in on a quieter but solid nickel tone.  This is my second V and the ground is really hard on nickels in my area, but at least I can make out the date on this one.  1907.

The merc was only a few inches down, and no doubt I (and others) have been over the top of this coin many times.  It was surrounded by all kinds of iron tones... a few pieces I dug out were a few rusted nails, and a two wire fence nails, the ones that are "u" shaped to capture the fence against a wooden post.  But between all those grunting iron tones, a solid 25-26-27 tone kept ringing through.  1916 Mercury dime.  (And my 2nd Quest for Silver completed... about a week after it started :)). 

I am really learning to love this coil.

I was running the E600 with original firmware in Park 1/50 tones/sensitivity 20/recovery 2 (4 on the 800) and IB 0.  And I was making an effort to swing slower than I normally do (though this was probably faster than others... I have a bad habit of swinging too fast).  

Tim.

20181015_183051.jpg

I'm curious as to why you're not running the highest recovery speed.  On my 800 I hardly ever go below 5 and am usually at 6 or 7 in my trashy parks.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I'm curious as to why you're not running the highest recovery speed.  On my 800 I hardly ever go below 5 and am usually at 6 or 7 in my trashy parks.  

Good question NCT.  I usually do run the 600 at max recovery.  I normally run my 800 at 6 or 7.  On this day, I was wanting to see if a lower recovery would clean up some iffy deeper targets.  Based on the co located iron and trash targets I found, the higher recovery would probably have been better.  Tim

• Like 1

Well done for just a 45 minute hunt.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:12 PM, Tiftaaft said:

The V Nickel was about 5" around some roots and (at) 11-12 tone...

Interesting that it hit mostly 11-12, not the 12-13 of typical US nickel 5 cent piece.  I wonder if the TID was pulled down by the surrounding trash you mention.  Those who despise lone beavertails (not I) wouldn't have even dug it.  😄

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Well done for just a 45 minute hunt.

Interesting that it hit mostly 11-12, not the 12-13 of typical US nickel 5 cent piece.  I wonder if the TID was pulled down by the surrounding trash you mention.  Those who despise lone beavertails (not I) wouldn't have even dug it.  😄

I found that interesting as well.  It was giving me enough "12's" to keep my interest, but it never did give me a 13.  The tone was soft, but tight, if that makes sense.  I have a nice collection of detached beaver tails.. those and pencil tops give me nice nickel id's... but I don't mind digging them knowing there are Nickels, and possibly yellow lurking below :wink:.  I agree, it very well could have been a blended id based on the other lower conductors around it.   

• Like 1