6 Inch Coil Hunts And Results

Tiftaaft

Great information. For years I've wanted to take the time with a small coil, find and mark what I believe to be good targets, then switch to the stock coil and see what I get.  That would be very interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Great information. For years I've wanted to take the time with a small coil, find and mark what I believe to be good targets, then switch to the stock coil and see what I get.  That would be very interesting to say the least.

I may do just that this weekend.. great suggestion Mark.  

On 10/15/2018 at 10:12 PM, Tiftaaft said:

The V Nickel was about 5" around some roots and around the 11-12 tone I received, were some other mid conductor trash (can slaw, a pop top, and some deeper iron that I left in the ground).  But in between all those competing tones, the 6" coil narrowed in on a quieter but solid nickel tone.  This is my second V and the ground is really hard on nickels in my area, but at least I can make out the date on this one.  1907.

That same scenario has netted me some nice finds as well.  Good job and congrats on the V

• Thanks 1

Over the past 15 years a 6" coil doesn't give much depth in my ground.  In fact, I've not found a single 6" coil that can hit my 6 1/2" dime (buried for over 8 years now) But 6" might be the max for all small coils.  But depth is not the most important factor to me.

I'm very tempted to start selling off a couple coils and fund myself a 6" Equinox coil.

Great post on the 6” coil. I bought the 6” but haven’t put it on yet. Now I’m inspired to do so.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

The V Nickel was about 5" around some roots and around the 11-12 tone I received, were some other mid conductor trash (can slaw, a pop top, and some deeper iron that I left in the ground).  But in between all those competing tones, the 6" coil narrowed in on a quieter but solid nickel tone.  This is my second V and the ground is really hard on nickels in my area, but at least I can make out the date on this one.  1907. 

Tim, I'm very happy you posted the 11/12 numbers on that v- nickel. It confirms what I had posted earlier this year. I've dug 18 buffalo's, 15 v's and 2 shield nickels this year with my 800 and although I can't give you an exact count many were 11/12's one even had a 10 pop in once or twice on a really worn v. Location has a lot to do with what I dig but 11/12 are good numbers to me. Nice hunt and good info buddy!!

15401519278081087471950660266768.jpg

• Like 4