GPX Discrimination Question

Guest Paul (Ca)

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hearing positive stories from relic hunters using the later GPX series,  Have a couple of questions one with using discrimination the other on a mono coil.

Can some form of audio discrimination be heard with using no iron disc?  I know increasing iron discrimination will disc out iron but if using no iron disc can a user still determine if the signal is iron or conductive in both mono or DD coil?

With the Minelab 12" x 15" Semi-Elliptical Commander Monoloop Coil, Is it deeper than the same size 12"X15"  Commander DD coil?  and if so allot deeper or better with depth and sensitivity?

Appreciate the help,  Looks like the later GPX series would be great relic machines.

Paul (Ca)

There are some who claim they can tell by the clarity of the signal weather or  not it's a worth while target. I don't believe it for a minute. However, by using a DD coil and a moderate iron reject setting I have stumbled into some good coin finds in trashy areas but I attribute that to dumb luck and I never trust PI discrimination.

comparable size mono vs DD the mono will always go deeper with more sensitivity but you may loose that advantage if you can't get a smooth threshold. There are a lot of reasons why good coin hunters stick with VLF. If I'm hiking out from a nugget detecting trip I will often keep the detector on just to see what random trash is laying around. It's amazing what people have lost in the middle of no where.

Ken ;

You are spot on. I live within sight of where I was born and have been interested in the local history for decades and have a pretty good idea where there were communities scattered around, some not even noted in any publications (not that I have found yet). There is still a lot of country in this area that is just plain hard to get to.  Goldbrick does a fantastic job with his research and when he has enough compiled to make it worth while, I'm going to mug him for it.

I would be willing to bet that up in the gold country almost any flat areas contained tent cities. They are all worth checking out, the worst thing that could happen is you find what I found today, NOTHING. That area was packed with people during the rush, look around and think, Where would I pitch a tent to work the area. Chances are someone was there.

Can some form of audio discrimination be heard with using no iron disc?  

Well, I feel I'm really setting myself up for criticism but, with my GPX 5000 using the Nugget 

Finder elliptical Sadie mono coil or their 12" mono elliptical coil, approximately 80 percent of iron trash made a noticeable bubbly sound. Smaller and less rusty iron trash didn't make the same sound. With those 2 coils only, neither lead or gold ever did that. But I still continued to dig those bubbly targets because everyone I told this to disagreed with me and would not accept what I was telling them and I wanted to see if there was ever an exception to the rule. Finally I just quit talking about it (so I ask myself why am I bringing this up again).

This bubbly specific iron sound has not been true with my SDC 2300 or the new GPZ or the GPX with different coils other than mentioned above. With the SDC and the GPZ I have dug up gold and lead that sound bubbly.

Hey Paul,

I run the gpx 4800.  One method I use to determine whether the target is trash or not is to toggle between enhance and normal.  Typically(not always) when in enhance most targets will give me the low/high response (woo/wee).  When toggled to normal the response will either stay the same, most of the time indicating junk...key word being most(not always).  Or the signal will sometimes switch to the high/low response (wee/woo) which always gets me excited because that most of the time indicates non ferrous.

Some of the variables that I have found to eliminate this advantage is the depth and size of target and type of ground you are running in.

Best not to use this as the end all of your to dig or not decision but often times it helps.  Pay attention to the strength of the signal and what response your detector is giving and you can get a lot of info about what is down below.  Try testing this method it helps me a bunch.

Hi Paul (Ca)

I use a 4800 and a detech 18in sef coil as one of my go to detectors for treasure hunting when I'm in Europe.

I use the coin/relic or sharp timing in conjunction with ground balance off and depending on what I'm after I'll use the discriminator up to about half way at the most.

The discriminator DOSE NOT work with a mono coil at all.

The 18in sef along with the settings above I dug a bronze sword circa 600bc at 1.5m deep.

Large DD coils are the coil of choice of any experienced treasure hunter using a PI.

As most desirable targets are coin or ring sized or above which the 18 picks up easily at depth.

If you want outright depth and don't care about the discriminator get yourself a nugget finder 20in mono.

The 20in mono still has the sensitivity to find small coins or earings for example but it punches really deep on bigger target's................. And take a long handled shovel you'll need it!

• Like 1