A Tiny Bit With My New Steelphase

1515Art

Thanks 1515Art.   Reports like yours spark my interest even more.  

The past few days have seen me digging/scratching the top off a few signals that ended up being ground noise - but you've just got to make sure.  If the SP01 can somehow circumvent that then woohoo!  ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northeast said:

I am wondering how it puts an edge on 'target signals' that are true, actual signals from metallic objects yet doesn't put a similar edge on ground noise? 

Ok I cant give away all the secrets but if I could completely eliminate the issue of ground noise I'd be rich. 

The sP01 will enhance a little ground noise. Unfortunately thats the nature of the beast but because it will enhance those deep faint signals, you can back the gain/sensitivity off a little which will quiet the machine with regard to ground noise, without loosing any relative depth. You can also run higher smoothing/ lower stabilizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This trip my settings were;

sen - 6 to 8

vol 6

highyeild

difficult

audio smoothing off

ground balance semi auto 

find patch

threashold 26

anything seem off kilter?

On the sP01 I was in stereo using my Bose ear buds, mostly filter (mode) 1 and filter 2 And i also tried filter 3 it felt a bit muffled in the sound quality for my hearing so I didn’t use it very much, could be I didn’t need that setting in the soil I was hunting. I started low on the sP01 volume but pushed it up around 3/4 volume and felt that was tolerable, by the end of the trip I dropped the volume down a little.

• Like 1

Nenad at Phase Technical has done a lot more testing on a 7000 than I have. Here are the settings he uses:

"I do a lot of tweaking during each session but my basic go to settings are:

Hot Ground: General, Difficult, Sens 6-12, Volume 9, Low Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Off

Milder Ground: High Yield, Normal, Sens 6-11, Volume 8, Low or High Smoothing, Ground Smoothing Patch Locate.

I nearly always use Semi Auto ground balance and just keep an eye on the ferrite balance.

Also like my sP01 on Filter 2, unless on the rare occasion I may be in High Smoothing then I'll use Filter 1."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteelPhase said:

but if I could completely eliminate the issue of ground noise I'd be rich. 

That's what I was thinking ?   Thanks for the answer and clarification - it makes sense. 

I think the approach to Audio Smoothing on the GPZ (Off, Low or High) is different between several people that know and understand the more technical workings of the machine well.  How Audio Smoothing then relates to the 'Modes' on the SPo1 is beyond my understanding and probably needs a thread all of its own. 

The reason I got the B&Z was exactly as you mentioned - to turn down the Volume of the Z to try and reduce interference/static/instability but then boost that audio after it hits the WM12 and it had a good effect. 

In the end, as Reg Wilson has recently encouraged me, it just means I need to get out there and do some more testing, testing, testing with different settings, ideas, theories and see what works for me.

Again Pat, thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated ?

And I'm sorry 1515Art if the thread got hijacked a bit - hopefully there is some info in there that you can use too.

• Like 1

Everything here is on topic, relevant and helpful, so not to worry I’m thankful for all comments as I am trying to figure things out myself and this post is question as much as comment and all are welcome.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 10:22 PM, Northeast said:

In the end, as Reg Wilson has recently encouraged me, it just means I need to get out there and do some more testing, testing, testing with different settings, ideas, theories and see what works for me.

Again Pat, thanks for the reply, it is much appreciated ?

And I'm sorry 1515Art if the thread got hijacked a bit - hopefully there is some info in there that you can use too.

That's it, everyone's ground and EMI is different, also hearing ability and preferences, headphones used, or speakers etc etc. there are so many variables. I share my settings because they work for me, and may help others to give them a starting point that has produced results. But yes, users need to play around and find out what works for them, in their spots. I also change my setting combos a bit over time. As you gain experience you tend to experiment a little more, and may find a combo that works in certain situations. Back to the sP01, I like the crispness that Filter 2 gives to the signal, particularly on the SDC, but last time out with it on a flogged patch, I was digging barely breaks in the threshold. On these signals, Filter 1 gave a more recognisable response, due to having a bit more "body" to the signal.

I come from an audio background so when it comes to being able to manipulate sound, you can never have too many options in my opinion. 

• Like 8

• 5 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 3:11 AM, SteelPhase said:

Ok I cant give away all the secrets but if I could completely eliminate the issue of ground noise I'd be rich. 

The sP01 will enhance a little ground noise. Unfortunately thats the nature of the beast but because it will enhance those deep faint signals, you can back the gain/sensitivity off a little which will quiet the machine with regard to ground noise, without loosing any relative depth. You can also run higher smoothing/ lower stabilizer.

So is it safe to say the SP01 takes signals that are likely target signals and specifically amplifies only (or mostly) them?

14 hours ago, 1911Colt said:

So is it safe to say the SP01 takes signals that are likely target signals and specifically amplifies only (or mostly) them?

Sort of. It takes the waveform and shapes it so signals are more recognisable.

• 10 months later...

I just got mine and testing it on my buried backyard targets it makes a difference compared to my Doc's screamer which I used for months.....it's a different monster with more capabilities and very helpful in achieving a very smooth threshold ........ And she is sexy !

MVIMG_20200204_133543.jpg

MVIMG_20200204_140917.jpg

MVIMG_20200204_141036-01.jpeg

• Like 2