Quick Coil Change Method For My 800

I just got my 6” coil, and a dedicated lower rod is on the way.  To make on-site coil changes fast and easy I came up with the following system. 

Each lower rod and coil have the cord fastened near the bottom with just enough slack to flip the coil flat for my carry bag. Then I made the straps shown with adhesive backed Velcro from the $ store. The soft part goes around the middle rod by it’s adhesive backing. But then it extends 2” and the hard part of the Velcro goes on the sticky side of it so one side is hook Velcro and the other side is loop Velcro and then  it is trimmed narrower with scissors. I have one of these on either side of the folding mechanism I installed on my box shaft.   What saves time in the field is that these straps stay on during coil change and securely fasten the coil wire. 

Also, in my case with the folding shaft I used zip ties to make a loop in each coils cord to go where the folding mechanism is where the cord never interferes with the folding or unfolding of the shaft. I will keep the other coil in my detector bag so I can change the coil during a detecting outing it the situation warrants it. 

No big deal but easy enough that others may consider doing this method of strapping. A

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I am a big fan of making things as simple as possible. It takes little effort to swap a coil on a lower rod, but that little effort is more than I like. So all my coils have lower rods attached at a minimum. Nobody should go without spare lower rods anyway, just in case.

Goota admit that folding shaft is one of the more unique setups I have seen. Thanks for posting!

Thanks Steve, not only a folded shaft, but a folded s-shaft. I know you said you have no real preference between straight and s-shape , but I thought I could get the equinox to be as well balanced and ergonomic as my f75. I think the s-shaft indeed makes the equinox on par with the f75. 

• Like 1

I have been happy with both configurations depending on the model. For my hand and arm the F75 does indeed represent my idea of perfect ergonomics, easily superior to the Equinox in that regard. I will probably mount an Equinox pod to a F75 handle assembly soon since I seem to be “all in” with Equinox. I don’t mind having theee or four set up for specific uses, like a single piece rod for water use, telescoping rod for backpacking, etc. I can spoil myself with several Equinox and still be into far less money than I used to be with a dozen various brands and models of detectors in my stable. Other than my GPZ 7000 I really don’t need anything else now.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2018 at 7:03 AM, relicmeister said:

I just got my 6” coil, and a dedicated lower rod is on the way.  To make on-site coil changes fast and easy I came up with the following system. 

Each lower rod and coil have the cord fastened near the bottom with just enough slack to flip the coil flat for my carry bag. Then I made the straps shown with adhesive backed Velcro from the $ store. The soft part goes around the middle rod by it’s adhesive backing. But then it extends 2” and the hard part of the Velcro goes on the sticky side of it so one side is hook Velcro and the other side is loop Velcro and then  it is trimmed narrower with scissors. I have one of these on either side of the folding mechanism I installed on my box shaft.   What saves time in the field is that these straps stay on during coil change and securely fasten the coil wire. 

Also, in my case with the folding shaft I used zip ties to make a loop in each coils cord to go where the folding mechanism is where the cord never interferes with the folding or unfolding of the shaft. I will keep the other coil in my detector bag so I can change the coil during a detecting outing it the situation warrants it. 

No big deal but easy enough that others may consider doing this method of strapping. A

image.jpg

image.jpg

I love that shaft! Is it custom made or where can it be purchased?

Thanks Reviza

the fold I’d from Dans metal detecting products on eBay and it’s not hard to install. I believe I did mine before he offered the nox “model’ 

later, in response to a post in this forum, I bought the whites s-shaft from serious detecting, and  replaced my whole upper shaft with the s-shaft although I did have to use a shim which was easy. It’s very strong with zero wobble and with the addition of a 1/2 lb. weight under the armrest to improve balance, it handles about as nicely with the 11” coil as my f75 which is the gold standard of easy swinging detectors. 

I’m insanely happy with it