Rick N. MI

You Can Turn The Equinox Into A True Relic Hunter Including Iron Relics

Use 5 tone. Set nails at -1 to -3 with lowest volume and low tone. For iron relics set -4 & down and set to a  louder volume and low tone and for non-ferrous set 0 to 40 a loud volume and high tone. Basically a 2 tone low for iron relic & high for non-ferrous. and a quiet tone for small iron. A 3 tone mode.

With this setting you will hear iron relics hitting a low louder tone and you can dig or not. High tone is your non-ferrous. This is good setting if you want to dig iron relics like I do. Some areas you don't want to dig iron relics you change to 2 tone or what ever you want.

I think it's an interesting setting. The adjustments are great and easy in this detector.

Now all we need now is a 5x10 or 8" round coil.

Rick

• Like 2

That is pretty cool, I am definitely going to have to try that. I have often wonder what goodies lie within the iron resolution of these machines.

Here is some iron relics I've found. These were found with a modded Lobo and an Impact.

I haven't tried my Equinox Relic program yet but plan to tomorrow.

Rick

44993250472_f721af7f87_o.jpg1j by Rick Covert, on Flickr

• Like 1

I try not to dig iron in the areas I hunt, but many times iron gets dug up due to iron wrap-around anyway, but never are they anything that interesting for me, mostly ox and horse shoes, wagon parts, an occasional miner pick, oh and the hoes - lol

I've been forcing myself to hunt in 50 tone/multi, and am curious what settings you'd run for hunting in sea of nail sites?

HH,
Cal

I would hunt in 2 tone. I think it's just easier listening for the high tone. I haven't tried 50 tones.

Rick

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By calabash digger
      The Nox was impressive on my local beach with the 15 inch coil. No great finds in this short 3 min video.

• By Vez
      I have gotten out a total of 6 times this year, this hunt made 7.  A new friend of mine and long time 3030 hunter challenged me to go to a football field that he has hunted for years with the 3030 and the 17".  He said he would be shocked if I pulled a silver as they are all 8" or deeper and the ground is difficult.  I too swung the 3030 for years, but feel the technology in the 800 is superior and would alert me to any keepers that were under the coil.   I went in the rain/snow and played in the mud for 3 hours looking for keepers in his football field.  Results and settings below.
      Park 2, Fe Bias 3, Recov. 5, Sens. 16-18 depending on Fe noise density, Ground Balance pumped out to 16, Volume 20 (want to know more or if I left something out just ask)
      WARNING:   There is some cussing in the videos, I was excited as I went in there having zero expectations. 
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/syyarSRTC4XgPXjN9

• By Tom Slick
      Decided to mod the 800 rod by switching out the straight middle rod to the White's S rod. I know a lot of folks like a straight rod but by switching it out, it eliminates the detector's handgrip from wanting to twist at the end of each swing. In a side by side comparison, both myself and a buddy with an 800 both like the feel of the modified version. The mod requires the middle rod from a White's DFX, or MXT. The rod needs to be drilled on the upper top end for the spring plunger and again adjustment holes need to be drilled on the bottom for length adjustment. The Lower rod from a Makro Racer or Kruzer is used as the lower rod from the Nox is larger in diameter. The top of the S rod also needs to be shimmed about .040" in diameter to fit snug into the Nox upper rod. Now it swings about as close to an F75 as you can get.

• By midalake
      I was looking for an option to do away with the 3 piece Minelab system. I came across the rods Doc makes for the gold hunters.  I might be the first one shipped to use on the Nox. I like the stuff gold guys have, they swing big coils and are in tough conditions.
      This is a good price point on this 2 piece system. Also great for tall persons. I am splitting with someone but for $230  we received two fiberglass lowers and a carbon fiber upper each for a unit cost of $115.  Be aware this is for the rods  only.  I have added pictures   and in the pictures you can see I have added my own Minelab two piece alum. cuff with neoprene covering [i think one of the best cuffs made].  I have also added a separate hand hold and will not use the detector itself to swing the rod. There are no holes for the Nox arm cuff or control unit you will need to drill for these.  Dave