(6 Inch Coil) Beginner's Luck?

GB_Amateur

Wow GBA!  Congratulations.  I was just getting ready to post my head scratching 6" coil finds, but you definitely bested my few coins (see my thread here ? 

?

I am going back now to study your notes.  I am intrigued by the all metal.  I haven't yet got enough confidence to try that, but your results are compelling.  I love the detail of your hunts and the settings you are using.  Thanks for taking the time to share your hunts and your amazing finds!!

Tim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, that barber is in great condition!!  you were right in your comments about how nice that is.!!  Tim.

• Like 1

Hi GB_Amateur… thanks for sharing your recent coin hunt with us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this presentation and particularly appreciated that you provided a detailed description of your observations and thoughts at the time, and the settings utilized with operating your detector. It was such an informative and interesting read, thankyou.

Congratulations on your coin recoveries, the silver coins are always a welcome addition to our collections, and especially that handsome Barber dime. It appears to be in remarkable shape, not bad for a coin that is 106 years old and has likely spent most of those years in the ground. :cool:

I would think the war nickel ought to clean up nicely too. I’ve found a few over the years, and have been quite pleased with how easily the stains were removed using a brief (mild solution) electrolysis followed by a very light finger application of a silver cleaner (Goddard's Long Shine Silver Foam) / water paste followed by a warm water rinse. Of course I’m not at all concerned about any associated value when employing such methods, but just want the coin to look nice. Below is a photo of a very ordinary but fairly representative dug example that I've cleaned using the described technique.

Thanks again for putting together this excellent post, including the nicely illustrative photo of your coin finds………………………Jim.

1574962055_JEFFERSON1943WARNICKELOBVERSESF17YG.JPG.b8dce2eb606e649f28becce2bd86b13f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate the details on your hunts including settings

I haven't give the 6" much time yet

Congrats on the great finds!

• Thanks 1

Wow, what an awesome story.  I think I want the coil now. I might think about parting with my TDI coils to fund one.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

I am intrigued by the all metal.  I haven't yet got enough confidence to try that, but your results are compelling.

For me, the key here is to adjust the volume of the various tone regions.  I want to hear iron but I don't want it blasting my ears so the volume for the iron region (0 and below) is my lowest.  Highest volume for the silver/copper zone and just as high for nickels (12-13 sweetspot).  The part between iron and nickel and also between nickel and silver/copper are intermediate.  (As noted previously, if Indian Heads are expected I lower the highest tone breakpoint to ~19.)

It's great that the Eqx 800 has so many settings that allows each detectorist to choose his/her own.  I've read here that many like to operate in 50 tones and if I had a 600 I'm sure I would learn to work in that space.  But for me the signal confusion has been pretty overwhelming when I've tried searching with 50 tones.  What I've settled upon (and it seems to work for me) is to use the profile setting for Park 2, 50 tones and my default hunting to be Park 1, 5 tones.  If I get a solid/consistent hit in default I don't worry about it -- just dig.  If I get iffy ID's & tones in Park 1, 5 tones I can quickly switch over to Park 2, 50 tones and see how steady the tone (ID) is before making a dig/not decision.  Of course there are other techniques which I use, such as the 90 degree angle of attack.  But the more info you have the better your decision will be.  And when in doubt... ?

• Like 3

Thanks for all the 'likes' and comments.  I'd post if no one ever spoke up but it is confirmation to receive appreciation from others, particularly those who themselves are excellent chroniclers of our pasttime.  Pardon me for not responding to each of you, but I certainly appreciate (and read with great interest) everything you say, both in response to my post but especially elsewhere on the forum.  I can only hope that my reports give you 1/10 the inspiration that yours have given me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

For me, the key here is to adjust the volume of the various tone regions.  I want to hear iron but I don't want it blasting my ears so the volume for the iron region (0 and below) is my lowest. 

So do you find that the feedback with all metal gives you a less masked/cleaner tone when hunting?  I toyed a little last night in all metal, using the 600/6", and lowered the volume in the tone 1 section (though the break isn't movable on the 600... or I haven't figured out how to do it yet).  It was kind of like a threshold feel with the constant iron chatter (I was in a pretty infested site last night).  I switched back and forth... in and out of all metal a few times... I didn't notice a difference on the few non-ferrous targets I found, but I did feel like I wasn't missing anything in all metal.  I will try it some more, as well as with my 800 and more customized settings ability.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

So do you find that the feedback with all metal gives you a less masked/cleaner tone when hunting?

Not particularly cleaner.  But instead of tone+dead hits I get high-tone+low-tone hits which I find are easier to register.  Further, I can hear nearby iron tones and I also can pick up when iron tone and high tone are co-located, such as what you sometimes get with nails.  I know some people who use discrimation (threshold in particular) will switch that off when they get an iffy signal, but I just find it easier & faster to keep it off in the first place.

In high trash I've gotten false high tone hits halfway between two iron hits.  Maybe there are ways to figure this out when threshold discriminating.  Another thing I sometimes do is to dig up the offending iron hit in order to get a better location for the good hit (and often that clears up the TID of the good hit).  Knowing there is something nearby from the start makes it easier for me.

I really don't have much experience running discrimination except for back in the old days when there wern't multi-tones (Garrett Groundhog in my case).  I just got comfortable listening for all tones when I learned to detect with my Gold Bug Pro, which is simply 2 tone, but IMO 2 is a lot better than 1!  Apparently some detectorists let the site determine which way to go, and probably that's better if you're confident in both methods.  All my life when I learn a way to do something I just stick with it and try to learn something completely different rather than spending the time to 'improve' something I already know how to do.  Can't say that's the best approach for everyone, though.

• Like 4