Ground Balanced On The GPZ

russ

Fantasy land and magic wands aside,

proper ground balancing with whatever detector is being used

is one of the most important and one of the most overlooked aspects of good detecting.

I look forward to taking the extra time it may require on the 7000 if that is what it needs.

It is a small price to pay to have the electronics working at optimum. 

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I can't get in on the technical part of it, just the fact the GPZ 7000 will sound off hard on cactus roots (especially Prickly Pear).  I just dug a charcoal spot today with the GPZ, after it broke up the area the signal was gone.  I have tried several settings, even "Severe" Ground Setting and it still sounds off.  Sucks, I have found some nice gold at the base of Prickly Pear Cactus as they spread out and cause a barrier on hillsides and slopes.  

Fantasy land and magic wands aside,

proper ground balancing with whatever detector is being used

is one of the most important and one of the most overlooked aspects of good detecting.

I look forward to taking the extra time it may require on the 7000 if that is what it needs.

It is a small price to pay to have the electronics working at optimum. 

What you are saying is 100% correct and now understanding the correct proceedure the initial ground balance issues shoudn't re-appear l have noticed that what were good habits developed with the 4500 are basically bad habits.  l can see that as the learning curve progresses and confidence grows in understanding what the detector is saying then rewards for effort should follow. At this stage l can see it is a very good detector but only time will tell if it is a great detector.

I've had some luck cancelling out the charcoal spots just by swinging back and forth 4 or 5 times slowly in autotrack, the signal generally gets a bit less intense as the coil has a think whereas a good target doesn't. Same with the hot clay balls here in Nevada, they sound just like a real good target and not a hotrock but they generally get much less intense or go away all together after you swing back and for for a bit and let it process. 

I agree with you GH, Enhance on the GPX as a whole deals with the hot rocks and lensy bad ground better than HY/Diff, but at the loss of some sensitivity. I'm having a tough time in some wash sides using the GPZ that I've gone over with the GPX in Enhance without much problem, and kicking it into Severe just seems to lose to much to pick up anything I missed.

This machine really seems like it needs to be swung real slow in any kind of remotely inclement ground to give all the data processing time to work and figure out what it's hovering over. Like 1/2 or less the speed I'm generally swinging my 45...is it only me? Once I slowed down I had a lot less issues with ground.

Thanks Steve 

I thought that the Z may have been smart enough to retain its GB when changing between ground modes 

But like you said 20 sec's and your done , my mate and I have been using the 2300 as a pinpointer , the Z finds a target I steak a yellow tent peg in its location and move on to the next target while he Digs and checks the targets . how lucky em I to have a "Dig Bitch" cant wait to find a super deep target that will sort him out  :D

We also found that using a pinpointer is well worth using these days 

Cheers Marty

I would have to agree with the general observation that by combining the best of the PI and VLF (continuous wave) worlds that the GPZ is hot in more way than one, and certain mineralized hot spots and ground root/base of truck situations appear more challenging than with the GPX, which could be dumbed down almost to nothing. The GPZ is just inherently hot and hard to get into a non-responsive state. I have run into mineralized hot spots and root mass situations myself but nothing than a few signals that have tricked me initially. I still have more to learn about these situations however. I think as a rule the machine retains far more sensitivity at lower Sensititivity levels than we may be used to and the general desire to keep Sensitivity levels high may be working against us in some situations. I need to experiment more with this aspect. Rob, if you are following this, did you try really backing the Sensitivity level down?

In general I am accepting there may be a price to be paid in some circumstances for what the GPZ offers and that in some situations the GPX will still shine for its vast combination of possible settings. In my case I have retained my ATX to deal with situations requiring a "less hot" detector.

Thanks Steve 

I thought that the Z may have been smart enough to retain its GB when changing between ground modes 

But like you said 20 sec's and your done , my mate and I have been using the 2300 as a pinpointer , the Z finds a target I steak a yellow tent peg in its location and move on to the next target while he Digs and checks the targets . how lucky em I to have a "Dig Bitch" cant wait to find a super deep target that will sort him out  :D

We also found that using a pinpointer is well worth using these days 

Cheers Marty

The GPZ remembers its GB position when you go from one gold mode to another, however from a fresh power on state you need to perform the GB procedure as described in the White Paper to be sure the GB is accurate, this procedure is recommended for every Gold mode you intend to use in that session. 

JP