Hi Simon... you've presented a very understandable step-by-step set of instructions to modify this unit. And the modification is necessary to eliminate inconvenient fiddling with controls. So nicely illustrated with the detailed photos that show exactly what you've done. 

Incidentally this is one of the reasons I didn't purchase this unit. I viewed this aspect of the design as unnecessary inconvenience in the field. Otherwise I felt it was a satisfactory design at the time, not too shabby on shallow small stuff, but better depth on deeper stuff than the higher frequency Goldbug2.

Thanks for the instructions Simon, some of us have no electronic background, so it's nice to get some information along these lines.  I do think you'd make a very good teacher!!! :cool:

Jim.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jim, I was getting frustrated with the controls of the GBP when I tried to use it a bit on my last camping holiday adventure while my Nox battery was flat, the switch from All metal to Disc by turning the Threshold knob was silly, as you always had to find your ideal threshold point all over again.  And then when coin shooting using it in disc mode it was annoying going to all metal with the knob to ground balance so I like my new switch method better, quick and easy.   I might do something different on my other Gold Bug Pro and add a trigger switch like that for the pinpoint as I loved the trigger on the T2 for pinpointing, much better than a button to press.  I should be able to put the trigger in a good spot under the shaft for easy use.  Push forward for ground grab, pull back for pinpoint.

Then I'll probably end up adding the switch for Disc/All metal too on it ?

• Like 2

is is the thought of what the fisher Gold bug-tek G2...  it for the winter months,--- 1.increase 2X tx power,2. light, 3..  2 -way  trigger 1- way for allmetal- 2-way for pinpoint ..,4.li-ion battery..

• Like 2

Love it ,the new change challenge for the Goldbug moders is the battery :)

Maybe the speaker could be removed too ???

RR

• Like 2

I took my Gold Bug Pro to the beach today to see how well it handles the sand, including the wet sand, it worked remarkably well, I was able to detect even in the water with minimal issues.  I did have to run in discriminate mode and blank out all iron so I had it set to ignore anything under 40 on the VDI's as it was picking up quite a lot of targets below that range... I was happy with how it performed the only thing was the ground balance, if I didn't fit this switch the thing would of been a nightmare to use at the beach, I had to ground balance very often, sometimes the balance was as low as 30 and other times up around 60 all within a 10 meter walking line, without the switch mod I just wouldn't want to use it on the beach.. it would be so annoying to ground balance all the time when in discriminate mode by having to turn that knob to all metal all the time to do it, so much easier with my trigger switch.

Whatever the iron like stuff setting it off when the discrimination wasn't set over 40 was also setting off my Equinox when I went into all metal mode on it....

I did stumble across a seal, I think he was sick as he didn't want to move

IMG_20181203_115518.thumb.jpg.5ad0934a7838366eb8c5205bdc09d336.jpg

I didn't find anything exciting but that's no surprise, I didn't expect to, this beach isn't overly busy with people.

• Like 1

Seal...sick ....or dead? Doesn't look too flash. :ohmy:

JW :smile:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

Seal...sick ....or dead? Doesn't look too flash. :ohmy:

It was alive, possibly sick, it was moving about a bit but didn't want to take off at high speed to the water like usual, it was also 26 degrees (Celsius for those on the wrong side of the planet) so it couldn't be comfortable in the sun, I sure wasn't.... poor little bugger, I wanted to help him to the water but that didn't go down well with Yvonne who said he'd bite me and wouldn't let me go near him.

I have been testing out the GBP and it's ability and organizing a larger coil for it so she can use my Nox as at least I have the ability now to use another detector and still do reasonably well.  The GBP was surprisingly good on wet sand, my Garrett Euroace was pretty bad, the T2 struggled but was great on the dry sand and the Go-Find 40 was great all round, worked brilliantly on wet sand but lacked target ID's I like.

I just hope Gold Coast sand is similar to Oreti sand ?  The Nox of course was perfect, I couldn't complain about it at all, I ran both the GBP and Nox at the highest sensitivity and both worked great.  The GBP had the Nel snake coil on it which is tiny like the GB2 coil so I expect it will work a little worse when it gets the 13" ultimate coil seeing more ground.

I'll hit the beaches at Christchurch next as they get more traffic and do it properly as I'll stay a week or two when I pick up my caravan. Deposit paid today.

• Like 3

How did the 4500 go on the beach? :laugh: When you say MY caravan.....is that yours or yours & Yvonne's as in OUR caravan.:biggrin: If you think 24-26 is hot....how are you going to cope on the Gold Coast? :rolleyes:. I wonder about you sometimes. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

How did the 4500 go on the beach? :laugh: When you say MY caravan.....is that yours or yours & Yvonne's as in OUR caravan.:biggrin: If you think 24-26 is hot....how are you going to cope on the Gold Coast? :rolleyes:. I wonder about you sometimes. :laugh:

I survived 20+ years in the roaring furnace of heat they call Brisbane,  I can survive though it, it doesn't mean I have to like it :biggrin: At least Gold Coast gets a slight sea breeze.

OUR caravan! :blush:

I didn't consider the 4500 but not a bad idea I guess with the DD coils but I'd have to be willing to dig a whole lot more, at least sand is easy work.  I'll give it a try next time.

• Haha 1