Coin Roll Hunting

16 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

Found silver paid for many, many toys back then.

Wow Gary, you were dedicated!  Sounds like it paid off for you while it lasted.  Where did you cash in your silver to get the best value?  I'm not in a rush to sell it, I tend to be more of a collector, but good to have options ?

On 10/20/2018 at 5:48 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Glad you didn't spend that $30 on the two big lotteries (MegaMillions pays $1 billion; Powerball about half that this weekend).  ?

Thanks GBA!

I will say I was decidedly less successful in my Powerball investment this weekend. ? ~Tim

• Like 1

Back then I used eBay, my local metal detecting club (they used it for planted hunts and raffles) and my local coin dealer who gave me the best return.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

I found a silver quarter once, in those Coinstar machines and couldn't figure out why.  Now I know.  My local machines seem to have lots of kicked out coins that I scoop up.  They spend just fine for me.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, tvanwho said:

My friend gets silver dimes in the Coinstar machines where they are kicked out along with copper pennies and foreign coins.

I have yet to find a single coin in any local Coinstar machines?

Oh well.

-Tom

I have had some accidental luck at coinstars... a few silver dimes and foreign coins mostly.  But I don't hunt them, just when I happen to walk by a machine while grocery shopping. ?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You put that awful suggestion in my ear and now I had to go out and test my bank here in Oregon for silver.  I haven't done this for over five years now when I was in California.  Bought six $500 boxes of halves and found ONE 40% silver.  Every box was stamped PRE-SORTED AT BOXING NO SILVER.  I had never seen that before.  Just goes to show you that they can slip by.  Might try it again in another five years!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I got back into coin roll hunting for a few months while laid up since the end of last year.. I think it's fairly safe to say the days of everyone being able to stack silver for fun and profit are over, exception being in the right place right time to catch a "Grandpa's change jar" rolls someone is just now getting around to turning in.. Didn't take me long to get over the whole scene right quick..

The only things I mess with at all are errors and varieties and even those only if unc (or proof,) which means purchasing same year unc rolls (or boxes if you can get them) at face, hoping an error / variety comes along, then hoping there's some in what you bought.. But now along comes the cost of getting things graded and slabbed, which has gotten sooo rediculously expensive you need to have found something mighty special to make the entire ordeal worthwhile.. My take is unless you're in the biz it simply isn't worth your time any longer, (exception being if it's a hobby and you're putting finds up rather than wanting to flip for profit..)

Besides long-time accumulated circulated finds the only things I have right now are a nearly-full unc box plus loose rolls of unc 2009 plain Lincoln cent "Formative Years" which is chock-full of varieties, a full unc box plus loose rolls of 2017-P cents (only Phila-issued cent sporting a mint mark which makes 'em valuable in its own right plus a discovery of some doubled-dies) and continuing purchases of same-year unc whatevers whenever and wherever I can find them -- odds are all of which will simply get passed along.. Most 'local' banks no longer have new coinage; the 12 Federal Reserve banks might.. Other than there, best make friends with someone in a high-volume retail store or see your local coin dealer for cost-plus offerings..

Swamp

PS: Oh yeah, I also have a couple hundred rolls of "unsearched" '59 - '82 unc Lincoln memorial coppers, sucker that I am and from a 'reputable dealer' no less, if anyone wants 'em cheap..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I also have a couple hundred rolls of "unsearched" '59 - '82 unc Lincoln memorial coppers....

The problem I have now is my eyesight -- it's just too difficult to look through many at one sitting.  I have probably close to $100 worth of circulated Memorials (mostly bronze but some zinc) that need searched for errors.  My dream is a 1969-S Double Die.  Dreams are what keep us going.

• Like 1