Above Low Tide Line?

Headed out tomorrow to a beach a couple of hours drive away with my Nox800. My question is- Should I wait for low tide and hunt the water beyond that, or just go and hunt the sand above the water line while the tide goes out?

11 hours ago, Fell Wanderer said:

Hi, If you wait till low tide then start detecting, the tide will start to turn after about 20 mins, giving you less time detecting at low water. Best to follow the tide down an hour or so before its lowest point, this way you cover more area

Wow. What a good response!. There is not an ocean nearby, so I didn't think about it until you pointed that out. It makes a lot of sense and should be the best idea for ocean beach detecting, because the tide goes out and comes back soon after.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, usaflaginmaine said:

Headed out tomorrow to a beach a couple of hours drive away with my Nox800. My question is- Should I wait for low tide and hunt the water beyond that, or just go and hunt the sand above the water line while the tide goes out?

Even at low tide I can not get out as far as I would like.   Dave

On 10/22/2018 at 9:32 PM, midalake said:

Even at low tide I can not get out as far as I would like.   Dave

Spring tides which have nothing to do with the season, are the biggest and lowest depending on how you look at it. They occur twice every lunar month throughout the year. Plan your trips around these times, you will be able to detect futher out than normal.

1 hour ago, Fell Wanderer said:

Spring tides which have nothing to do with the season, are the biggest and lowest depending on how you look at it. They occur twice every lunar month throughout the year. Plan your trips around these times, you will be able to detect futher out than normal.

Yes thank you. I have been following tide charts for years. But is does not take into account wind push and storm factors. All of which can ruin the best low tide. 

I know in my area the tides go out farther for the next few months then in the summer. I hunt the heck out of them but I have never found much. I see guys go out in the water in the summer and do well  but it seems if I hunt the same area at low tide I get not much more than exercise. LOL

58 minutes ago, Norm S said:

I know in my area the tides go out farther for the next few months then in the summer. I hunt the heck out of them but I have never found much. I see guys go out in the water in the summer and do well  but it seems if I hunt the same area at low tide I get not much more than exercise. LOL

Yep, it's hard to get targets at low tide sometimes, but I think that they are there. It all depends on how the sand is distributed. Recently the beaches are very sanded in, no matter what the tide is. I use the charts all the time, but this season it has only been sporadic little pockets that develop and then disappear again. When the sands shift it is amazing how many coins are within reach. :smile:

• Like 1

On my local beach

On 10/24/2018 at 8:03 PM, midalake said:

I have been following tide charts for years. But is does not take into account wind push and storm factors. All of which can ruin the best low tide. 

I agree, weather conditions plays a big factor when trying to work the low tide area. My local beach does best after a good storm, when the sand may get shifted enough to reach deep targets previously missed, I don't necessarily have to be at the low water mark. Reaching the depth the targets have sunk too is what matters, at least on my beach that is. Took me a long time to realise that sand can be deposited or removed depending on tides and weather conditions.

• Like 1